Calling it quits !!

Scott Howard

Calling it quits !!

Post by Scott Howard »

It is beginning to look like I am about finished and only going to put the 2 that I have started back together. I have dug my old Dekley back out to tune up to standard E 9th.

I am going to be selling off most everything else and I use ebay mostly because I don't know what stuff is worth.

I enjoy making things but I just don't see me getting to build one from scratch.

I have one MSA D - 12 that has not been converted to keyless but has had the rear neck removed and is apart. It will make a nice U-12 and I will probaby put it together as a Universal before I sell it. I will probably also sell the Dekley when I get one of the others back together. I have a few parts on ebay now.

I may try and get a list of what I have and post it here or at least offer a discount to anything bought by forum members.

Scott
Bent

Re: Calling it quits !!

Post by Bent »

Scott, I for one am a bit saddened by your decision. Of course you have to do what you decide; this is nobody business but your own. I do hope you find the time and frame of mind to continue if even for one more project from scratch. If not, then at least you continue posting here on the forum .
I feel we still have a lot to learn from you.
Good luck in your future endeavors!

Bent
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Easier said than done my friend. But, if you do manage to quit at the end of the current set of projects, please continue with the forum at the very least. You are too valuable for us to loose your input.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Thanks guys

It has been along time coming and I don't see that I have much choise. The shoulder and neck problem is coming all from my neck . I have already changed the pedals to the other end in an effort to keep playing. I now can sit at the guitar for about 10 minutes max before the shoulders are killing me .

The foot problem is from degenerative disc in the low back due to the ankylosing spondylitis and the shoulders is from another deteriated disc in the neck . After over 25 years of arthritis ( ankylosing spondylitis ) to be exact and now this I am looking at simplifying everything. By the way I am only 47.

I am not a wealthy man and can't afford the expense of most of my options. Several years ago I went from working on cars and and went to selling parts . After working up to a decent level in the store I have been going backwards for the last 3 years and I have been cut back in hours and pay over the last year . As of now I just want to get by and it is getting hard to physically work the 4 days now so I don't really mind being cut back .

I am on another round of predisone and then go back to look at what options I have .

I still plan on tinkering some but it may be on a lot slower scale as the neck pain is pretty bad . I still have some ideas and plan on showing them as best as I can just to further the instrument.

Scott
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

Scott,
I'm pretty much a new comer to the forums, and I can't tell you how much I've learned from you. I eagerly look for your posts, and the ones that aren't over my head give me much to chew on.
I hope your doctors can figure out a plan that let's you stay as involved in steel as much as you want to be.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Don

Thanks Don
and if anything is over any bodies head just email me and I will try and help them understand what I am trying to say. I am not the best at getting my point across most of the time , and I know that.

I will always be thinking ( I hope ) and as long as I can I will try and post my thoughts. I come up with stuff after I finish something and I am looking at it and I see something I would have done different.

The guitar that you got the 10 string head from is going to be done after I finish and get my ideas worked out. I have come a long way on it but don't want to rush it . I will probably still see something I would have done different .
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Looks like the Dekley and the last full length MSA are gone. This leaves me with just the 2 MSA's that have been converted.
I have about decided to use the maple I have and build a curly maple body for my double body guitar. I am putting it on the back burner for now anyway.
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Here's one more note of sadnessbut as Bent says you know what is right for you. Sincere thanks for the help you've given me and i look forward to more at your choosing.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Thanks for the comments guys . I was told to find something I enjoyed and stay busy . So I do plan on tinkering with steels even if I can't play much. Trust me I am better at the mechanical part than the playing part .

After several more x-rays it is easy to see the problem with my leg and foot . After several weeks of anti - inflamatory drugs I am feeling better . Still having a fair amount of pain in my shoulders . Going to another doctor Tuesday. Here is one of the x-rays .
Attachments
001 disc.jpg
001 disc.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 7302 times
Allan

Post by Allan »

Is that bone on bone? Ouch!
Good to hear that you are at least feeling some relief.

Take care my friend, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!