Keyhead shobud style with no roller nuts

If it has Pedals...
Blacksb21

Keyhead shobud style with no roller nuts

Post by Blacksb21 »

I have a key head shobud style that has no roller nuts, just a grooved out spot for a brass shaft that is grooved for the strings, I want to use this key head but would like to put roller nuts on it, could this be done? and how would I go about it? looking for advise. Steve B.
na4it

Re: Keyhead shobud style with no roller nuts

Post by na4it »

I had an older Marlen that I think had keyheads like you describe. I have included a picture. It might help if you can post a picture of yours.
rollers.jpg
rollers.jpg (83.19 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Scott Duckworth
E6 Rogue lap steel, D6 Regal RD-30MS squareneck reso-guitar,
Li'l Izzy, Zoom MS-50G Effects Pedal into a Berhinger mixer and Harbinger V2112 speaker(s).

Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Hello na4it I tried to post pictures here but my pixels are too large, how can I post them, never had trouble on steel guitar forum.
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Ok how do I post pictures if the warning sign says my pixels are too large, how do I reduce them?
na4it

Post by na4it »

You may need to do one or even two things. First, the picture cannot be more than 800 pixels wide or 600 pixels high. And, it may need to be of a smaller file size, which in JPG pictures, is called "compression". I use an image software called IrfanView, which is free. You would have to look through the menus to do the above things.

You could also change the settings in your camera to shoot a smaller picture size. Mine is set to a very large picture and file size so when I edit the pictures, I get good detail.

The two basic things to remember are physical picture size (pixels) and file size (kb or mb).
Scott Duckworth
Li'l Izzy, Zoom MS-50G Effects Pedal into a Berhinger mixer and Harbinger V2112 speaker(s).

Jif

Post by Jif »

Ok how do I post pictures if the warning sign says my pixels are too large, how do I reduce them?
Further to Scotts post.

There's a good free online picture editor called Pixlr at the url below, it does not need to be installed on your computer, all editing can be done online.

http://pixlr.com/

There are a few options on the home page, the advanced editor is very similar to photoshop for more in depth editing. The easiest way to edit picture size would be to use the Pixlr Express Efficient option.

Once you click on this option a menu appears, clicking browse opens up a file selection window. From this browse to your picture file which you want to reduce in size and open it.

Once open click on the option Adjustment, a further menu appears, click on resize.

A box appears which lets you enter the size you want to make your picture, i.e. 640 pixels - width X 450 pixels - height, (the size initially displayed in the box is the current size of your picture), there is also a button which says keep proportions, make sure this is set on, (there's a 1 in the box). This maintains the aspect ratio of width to height.

If the largest size allowed here is 800 X 600, then make sure either the width or height does not exceed either size. The safest way to do it would be to make sure the picture is smaller altogether, i.e. make the width 640, the height will automatically adjust as it's set to maintain the aspect ratio of the picture.

Click Apply and the picture will resize. Click on Save and a menu appears which allows you to name the picture file and choose the quality vs file size. Make sure the file size is not larger than 1Mb, around 100 - 300k is probably OK size and quality wise.

Clicking on save brings up a file menu for where you want to save the file. Once saved you can upload it to the forum.

Some forums automatically resize any picture you upload, which is probably why you have not had a problem with this on the PS forum.

Sounds a bit complicated but once you've done it a few times, it's a dawdle ;)

Hope this helps :)
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Pictures of Sho-Bud style key head.
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (67.25 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

pictures of Sho-Bud style key head again.
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (64.31 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
Blacksb21

Post by Blacksb21 »

Well got the attachments done, don't worry everyone the guitar will get a veneer finish using maple veneers.
na4it

Post by na4it »

If you look at the picture of my keyhead compared to yours, yours will need slots cut in it for the rollers. Could be done carefully. The old adage, measure twice, cut once! Probably need to remember, it is going to raise the strings slightly. The middle of the roller height will be at the slot level, so you will have half the height of the roller taller strings.

I'm no machinist, others that are need to comment here as to what procedures would be best.
Scott Duckworth