How do you loop the ends of Carter pull rods?

If it has Pedals...
b0b

How do you loop the ends of Carter pull rods?

Post by b0b »

I have a Carter with the brass barbells that slip into the bell cranks. I can thread pull rods, no problem, but I don't know how to put the loop in the other end to precisely fit the barbell.

How do you do that?
Bent

Re: How do you loop the ends of Carter pull rods?

Post by Bent »

b0b I would use something like my pedal rod hook bender. It is easy to make and when you have it, you can't do without it.

As you see, it is made up from 2 pieces angle iron. For my hooks, I use a 3/16"SS round - the shiny L shape you see going thru the holes.
It would be natural to think that you would use a pin the diameter of your barbell.
The handle is notched out to receive the rod at a snug fit. You would notch out yours to fit the pull rods.
rodbender-003.jpg
rodbender-003.jpg (58.41 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
Then you see the pedal rod poking thru the hole. You would have as much rod sticking out for the length of hook you need.
rodbender-002.jpg
rodbender-002.jpg (64.86 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
And here you see the finished bend. Also, notice the lines I have scribed on the angle. These are reference lines for the amount of hook I want. Experiment with scraps and you'll get it in no time.
rodbender-005.jpg
rodbender-005.jpg (57.14 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
Hope this works for you.

I never fail to mention the originator of this ingenious device. This is Bill Ford's invention and it is truly a BIFF (Better Idea From Ford)
Thanks again Bill!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Looks good, Bent. Could you sell me such a thing? I don't have the tools (or the skill) to make one myself.
Bent

Post by Bent »

b0b, right now I am knee deep into a project plus making some parts that I committed myself to. If you are in no hurry I will make you one when I have time.
Let me know, then I can scrounge around for scraps of metal.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Yo b0b,

Send me a carter pin and I'll make a little bender up for you. You using 3/32 rods?
b0b

Post by b0b »

Thanks, Ross. I'll send you a sample rod too. :mrgreen:
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Hey Ross, Not to be nosy but I think from memory, ( if Bob will confirm)the rod on the Carter has to have this shape to "snap" on the barbells...BF
Attachments
img038.jpg
img038.jpg (10.57 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
b0b

Post by b0b »

The original rods have a simple U shape. I suppose they could slip off off they had too much slack, but not if the guitar is properly adjusted.
burt

Post by burt »

B0b,
I have experience with Carter steels, and recommend that you make the length of the hook a bit longer than the standard length (about 1/8" longer), get new brass pull-pins, as the ones on your steel may well be worn, and, when you bend the hooks, make sure that they are a 'snap' fit on the brass pull-pins. This ensures that the whole assembly can't drop out when a string breaks, or when you're changing strings.

The reason for having the rod hooks longer than standard is because, as the pull-pins wear down, the rod is no longer a 'snap' fit, so needs the extra length to stop it dropping out when changing strings, if the changer finger is inadvertently moved when installing the new string.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Thanks for the advice, Burt.