dual use knee levers

If it has Pedals...
Bent

Re: dual use knee levers

Post by Bent »

I thought a still picture would compliment this video.
That way you can take your time and figure it out. I hope my descriptions work:

K is the dual use knee lever
Rod is the rod coming from your control button at the back of the steel.
P is the pin controlled by the Rod. It slides back and forth between E9 and C6
P slides onto E9 or C6 whichever is needed

I also think that P can be positioned halfways so that you can operate both necks if you want.
CrOver.jpg
CrOver.jpg (124.78 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

OOOPS :oops: I had the link to the wrong video but I have the correct one up now. It was sort of hard to go to 5 and 1 / 2 minutes on a 4 minute video.

Thanks Allan , you would not believe how much thought I have given this. Trying to keep it as simple as possible and easy to make but I see no reason why it wouldn't work .

Bent

Is that a Fulawka ? And where did you find the picture? Yes in the correct video he shows it real good and says it will work both also.

I also think I can use this for the reversing levers with raising the pivot and notching the mounting bracket to clear the rod end. Simular to this link for the method of reversing.

http://www.steelguitar.com/steelmap/map ... revcpv.htm
Bent

Post by Bent »

Scott, yes that's a Fulawka. One pic of many that I took when I went to see Ed one time.
That reversing mech is typical of old MSA and Dekley. They work well.
Newer guitars are using the lever type on two rods by the looks of it.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Georg

Post by Georg »

My requirement for dual or multi use pedals/levers mechanism is that it must be possible to switch while pedal/lever is engaged. From what I can see Scott, yours can only be switched while lever is in released position.

For years I've been contemplating the use of a "broken push-finger" concept, which is mainly aimed at solving the "operate while engaged" problem with the movable half-tone stoppers I use to raise/lower the E strings a half or a full tone on my S10 Dekley. Think the "broken push-finger" concept can work for "on-the-fly" switching between a pedal/lever and more than one bellcrank shaft too, which would make it ideal for me, and maybe for others.

I'll probably get a scanner so I can post some drawings before christmas. In the mean time: the concept is based on having 'guided, spring-stiffened, hinged, push-pins', that can be "broken" by the switch so they stay out of the way (doesn't push) when not needed.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Georg
You are correct as it is meant to be changed while it is released. I must admit I am fighting a unusual problem and looking for a different solution than the average person.

Having owned a true crossover guitar made by Williams , I still prefered the U-12 . By making the knee levers dual purpose I have a tuning for the universal that uses 5 pedals and has A B C for E 9th and 5 & 8 for floor pedals. I have pedal 6 & 7 on different knees. I admit I can't just go in and out of the 6th this way but in 30 seconds it would be like a B 6 th guitar. I am also planning on a lock for the Eb lever.

I see this as another step to my final destination. I am going to work on mounting it tomorrow on my double neck and see how it works out. Like most things I am sure I will change things on it as I go.

Here is the most recent picture.
Attachments
Dec09419.JPG
Dec09419.JPG (97.25 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Dec09418.JPG
Dec09418.JPG (93.52 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Allan

Post by Allan »

Just a small point here Scott, I assume that you have tested the concept the right way up - you did say detents I think. I still think it looks good. The simplest ideas are usually the best.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Allan
With the detent , it take enough effort I think it will be ok in any position and it will not move on its own.

I have it mounted on the guitar and had to modify it slightly. The angle mounting brackets had to be turned inward to make it more compact. I am going to have to make a couple of crossrods and the links to them. I will be off in a few days and make a few more parts then.

On my doubleneck I have a knee lever that is now pulling 2 pulls on both necks . I will be splitting it so it pulls one neck or the other, or both at one time as a experimant . My final use will be on my S-12 and I can then use it for my E 9th pulls and flip it over and use the same lever for the B 6th pulls .

Also looking at using it on one pedal . Scott
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I have it on and hooked to the cross rods. Plan on hooking up the pulls later today. Here it is pulling both.
Attachments
Dec13430.JPG
Dec13430.JPG (111.37 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Dec13425.JPG
Dec13425.JPG (104.13 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Here it is puling only one and then the other one.
Attachments
Dec13432.JPG
Dec13432.JPG (93.16 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
Dec13431.JPG
Dec13431.JPG (87.13 KiB) Viewed 1195 times