String bending parts

If it has Pedals...
Dclybrg

String bending parts

Post by Dclybrg »

Hi, I am building a table top aluminum/wood lap steel guitar using channel 6061 aluminum and have everything fitted. My next step is to route for the pickup, do some finish work, paint, and reassemble.

I am looking for a way to add string bending capabilities to add pedal steel guitar sounds. I have tried using rollers allowing the strings to extend past the bridge and be bent using a bar with limited success and am considering trying a Telecaster style B-Bender D-Drop bridge. Perhaps parts from a true pedal guitar would be an option.

My goal is to keep material costs at a minimum, and would love suggestions.

Has anyone seen or tried anything similar?

Doug
Attachments
Lap Steel.jpg
Lap Steel.jpg (19.61 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Ray Moonraker

Re: String bending parts

Post by Ray Moonraker »

Hi Doug,
I have put a few videos on youtube, you may be able to pick out a few ideas,for bending the strings, I cant see from the photo how much room you have in the bridge area
but the the changer fingers I built might give you some ideas, they could possibly be used with arm levers, Good luck Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7udvLppQ ... re=channel
Dclybrg

Post by Dclybrg »

Thanks Ray. I only left 4" behind the bridge, but can purchase and cut down 4' stock for my next project. Your video's (and guitars) are awesome. Unfortunately my machining skills are not up to creating a changer but you did spark some new ideas churning in my head. Thanks again, Doug
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Doug, You mention something about the lack of machining skills. Please don't let that stop you, judging by your photo there you'd be able to do it. I've made 3 changers using a combination of hacksaw, radial arm saw with a drill press vice, drill press, combination belt/disc sander and a sanding disk mounted on my lathe faceplate. All woodworking tools. Eldon
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Dclybrg

Post by Dclybrg »

Eldon- thanks for the vote of confidence.

I was actually amazed that the 40 holes I had to drill for the tuners actually lined up. Since my drill press is located in an unheated garage, I have decided to finish this table top steel guitar without changers. But, I am already planning my 2nd guitar...with pedal guitar features.

This site is awesome...for ideas and inspiration.