Two bodies

If it has Pedals...
Bent

Two bodies

Post by Bent »

Not sure if I want to call these "project#3" yet.
It is sort of an experimental thing I am doing with unfinished wood vs and stability or lack thereof. Thought it would be fun to see what happens to these 2 bodies, since the lumber has been left untreated after planing etc for so long. if things warp, no harm done; I will only be out $100 and , hopefully a few experiences wiser.

I bought the wood from my local supplier about 6 weeks ago. It was rough.
I planed it 4 weeks ago and left it lying or the rack until last week when I finally cut it to size and rough-fit the pieces since last Thursday.
-Now, as when I got this kiln dried lumber, the moisture content was 6 and 8%
-I think the humidity in my shop has been staying at a level mid-range humidity. I started heating the shop about 3 weeks ago and when working there, it's been at 20C(68F) in there, otherwise, I let it go down to 12C (54F)
Like I mentioned, the wood has stayed very stable throughout. Since the cabinets have been put together they have also remained stable. They will be left unfinished, likely till after Christmas.

This body is hard maple. It will likely get a maple neck as well, although one never knows, now that I have a milling machine on the way.
Maplbdy.jpg
Maplbdy.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

This one has hard maple deck and Walnut aprons and neck.
MapWalbdy.jpg
MapWalbdy.jpg (39.68 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
We'll see how things go...
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Re: Two bodies

Post by Allan »

Nice looking piece of walnut there Bent.

What kind of jointing have you used on the two bodies?

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bent

Re: Two bodies

Post by Bent »

Alan, Joining the e9th and c6th parts I used a 3/4" wide lap joint. It has 5 7/8" screws in from the underside. When the time comes I will also use glue
I fixed the aprons to the deck with 5 screws countersunk into the aprons and through into the deck about 5/8". Glue here also
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.