String height...

If it has Pedals...
Allan

String height...

Post by Allan »

OK, that was thanksgiving - it's over now, so, back to the task in hand...

What is the usual height for the strings above the fretboard in a PSG?

Hope you had a nice holiday y'all...

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Georg

Re: String height...

Post by Georg »

Don't know if there is a "norm" for string-height, but...

My MSA has the strings approx. 1/2 inch above fretboard, and 1 1/2 inch above top-plate. All original and probably quite common.

My Dekley has the strings 1/4 inch (modified) above fretboard, and 1 1/8 inch (original) above top-plate.
Bent

Post by Bent »

I am sure what Georg said - that 1/2" is the standard. I measured on my prototype that has the old ShoBud roller bridge. There it is 1/2".

I would like to add that 1/2" is the minimum, here's why:

When I built my 2 steels recently, I made the fretboards 1/8" thick. Both Dave Seddon and I found out fast that we kept hitting the fretboard with our picks on occasion. So I made 2 new fret boards 1/16" thick. Dave is doing ok, I hit the fret board once in a blue moon with my thumb pick.
String height is just over 1/32" short of the 1/2"
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

I doubt that there is a norm, standard or even typical string height. FWIW, on my short-scale Fender 400 the strings are ~ 13/32" above the fretboard.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Michael, I think that maybe the "standard", if there is one, was established by the coming of the ShoBuds and following soon thereafter, the MSA's.
As we can see, both of those makes have a height of 1/2". It would be interesting if owners of modern steels would take a measure and have their say.
I know that 11/32" - just above 3/8" would be way too low for me
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

I asked the question now because I want to have something in mind while I am mulling over some of the details for the guitar that I may-build/hope-to-build starting soon. The information gives me something to think around but is not time critical to the point that I need to decide how it will go right now.

So, I have something to think about - my current idea is to go with a half inch - but I will continue to watch this thread for further input.

Thanks guys, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
burt

Post by burt »

Bitter experience has taught me that a low string height above the body, whilst minimising cabinet drop, is a recipe for a bad tone.

I prefer steels that are at least 1 1/2" string height above the body, and with a 3/4" neck, plus about 1/8" for the fretboard, which equals about 5/8" string clearance above the fretboard.
Georg

Post by Georg »

burt wrote:Bitter experience has taught me that a low string height above the body, whilst minimising cabinet drop, is a recipe for a bad tone.
burt, can you qualify your "bad tone" experience as related to string height a bit ? For instance by letting us know which PSG models that failed because of low string height ?

That high strings on a PSG tends to mean more body-drop, is obvious because of where the string tension is taken up. That a high bridge tends to give the strings more freedom and force to control overall body-tone, is also an assumption I have no problem following.

Locking string height and tone too strongly together does not sound right to me though, as the construction of the "string posts" (all parts on top directly involved in taking up string tension) and their connection to the body, matter much more than string height in itself - in my experience.
burt

Post by burt »

Georg,
I have probably just had some bad luck with some steels that I have owned, I can't name them as I wouldn't want to malign any steel manufacturer that just once in a while produces a turkey, but they all had one characteristic in common, a very low string height over the body.

In the acoustic guitar world, it is well-known that a high action (above the soundboard, not the neck) equates to a fuller tone
Georg

Post by Georg »

burt wrote:In the acoustic guitar world, it is well-known that a high action (above the soundboard, not the neck) equates to a fuller tone
Yes, it is. I find it a bit difficult to transfer that directly to PSGs though, because of the way most PSGs are constructed. The usual rather heavy bridge/changer bolted onto a rather heavy, thick and rigid soundboard, introduce so many variables that differ from that of an acoustic instrument.
A PSG has to be "tuned" as a PSG - a solid-body instrument under high stress - to make the most out of its unique characteristics. That some come out with the wrong compromises and tone at times, isn't surprising. Since it is the bridge-height, -construction and -mounting that matters most for transfer of string vibrations to the body, there's only so much one can do to "tune" the construction once the bridge/changer is built.
(I have what amounts to a 14 inch bridge-top/soundboard distance on my Dekley, but that's horizontal and "doesn't count." Sure makes a difference in overall tone though :) )

The "string above fretboard" height OTOH, is more a matter of what looks right and works well. I have no problems with the 1/4 inch distance on my Dekley - don't hit the fretboard with the picks unless I really intend to. No problems with the 1/2 inch distance on the MSA either, other than that the frets near the far (left) end looks a bit "offset" since I'm used to my Dekley.