Seasons Greetings and New Project

If it has Pedals...
Ray Moonraker

Seasons Greetings and New Project

Post by Ray Moonraker »

Hello everyone , I would like to wish you all on this great forum a very happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year, I would also like to thank all who viewed my YouTube project, I have just started a new steel it is in the early stages, I will use my own design key less tuner and roller nut, the roller nut is made from guitar string ends and I think it will work OK with the tuner,the wood is cherry, I enclose a photo all the best
Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7udvLppQ ... er&list=UL
Attachments
keyless tuner and nut 3.jpg
keyless tuner and nut 3.jpg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
keyless tuner and nut 2.jpg
keyless tuner and nut 2.jpg (77.85 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
Georg

Re: Seasons Greetings and New Project

Post by Georg »

Merry Christmas and a Happy and productive New Year :)

Now, do the strings slide on the metal in those holes down to the tuning mechanism?
If so I think the rollers should be placed further back, to prevent all string-on-metal sliding. I have had bad experiences with hang/hysteresis with strings-on-metal sliding on a regular, factory-made, PSG - it simply doesn't work reliable.
Thiel Hatt

Post by Thiel Hatt »

I have been saving the ball ends of the strings with the same thing in mind. I also thought it would work and you have prove it. I had made some rollers from aluminum rod for use on my Pedal dobro, but this concept would have worked just as well.
Attachments
PICT0372.JPG
PICT0372.JPG (164.42 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Hi Ray , i enjoyed your projects and look forward to seeing more . Russ
Ray Moonraker

Post by Ray Moonraker »

Hello Georg I would like to thank you for your input I think I will change the roller block to include a top roller and a back roller to stop the strings touching the tuner holes,

Thiel I realy do like the look of your pedal Reso guitar, did you make the resonater ?, I had thought about making an acoustic P.S.G. but I thought it would not have the sustain, am I wrong ? please put more photos on the sight I am sure there would be a lot of interest,

Russ thank you for your kind words as always. Ray
Thiel Hatt

Post by Thiel Hatt »

All of the resonator parts were purchased from Stewart-McDonald. Sound well, resonator, spider bridge, and cover plate. I used an EMCI changer. About half of the under-carriage came from Fessenden Guitar Co., the rest I made, including the gearless tuners.
Attachments
pedal dobro 003.jpg
pedal dobro 003.jpg (134.29 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
pedal dobro 002.jpg
pedal dobro 002.jpg (139.4 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
pedal dobro 001.jpg
pedal dobro 001.jpg (193.83 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
Ray Moonraker

Post by Ray Moonraker »

Hi Thiel that is a truly a beautiful guitar I look forward to hearing you play it on youtube
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

Hi Ray,
Nice to see that you are using the brass eyes off the string ends, like I suggested in bays earlier blog titled "roller nut", they work a treat! AND TO ALL, MAY YOU HAVE A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND PEACFULL NEW YEAR.

BTW, VERY NICE PEDAL-BRO

Dave. :D
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Ray -

I obviously can't determine dimensions from the photos but, if permitted, there's a couple of things that could be done to alleviate that string bending over the edge of the hole. First, if the design allows, you could raise the roller bridge. Second, you could bore the holes closer to the edge or, even, convert the holes to slots which go all of the way to the edge of the piece.

If there's something underneath which precludes these possibilities then - never mind. (Remember Emily Latella on "Laugh-In"?)

Richard
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hi Ray and Happy New Year. I look forward to seeing more pictures as you progress. I watched your video a couple of times and it really helped me understand the workings of a pedal steel. Nice job!

Paul