changer scissor

If it has Pedals...
burt

Re: changer scissor

Post by burt »

Georg,
A common method of balancing the pulls (when one string has a very small movement at the changer finger, and the other finger has a lot of movement) is to use a slave bellcrank to 'gear down' the movement of the short-throw finger.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Know that burt, but the problem is that the pull-rod moves only a short distance too, making it pretty difficult to ensure near-perfect tuning, timing and enough free-play for an unaffected neutral.

I'd really like to have a pretty normal travel-distance for the pull-rod, and "gear down" in the changer. Less chance for "using up" minute tolerances by the effect of change in air-humidity and/or temperature on body, when all those fine, and tunable, tolerances are in the changer itself.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Burt

I have heard the term but I never seen one. A picture is worth 1,000 words . At least to me anyway.

As far as normal , I make my guitar fit ME . I have totally ruined these MSA's by some peoples standards . They are anything but normal. I like keyless so I converted them , upgraded to square shafts with 90 degree rods , Cut out the endplate still retaining the original opening size , shortened the bodys , and so on. If you ever make a guitar fit you , then it is comfortable to play. To me they play better than when original .
I plan on keeping these forever. I have also tried to leave them to where the pedals could be put back to the normal end after I quit playing or whatever. I did not drill the left endplate for the jack but instead made a plate and mounted it underneath.
burt

Post by burt »

Scott,
A slave bellcrank is mounted on a spare cross-shaft.
The regular bellcrank, that would normally have a rod going to the changer finger, has the rod (which is connected in a hole nearest the cross-shaft in the regular bellcrank) going instead to the slave bellcrank, connecting in a hole furthest from the cross-shaft.
Another rod, connected to the same slave bellcrank, but in a hole nearer to the cross-shaft, goes to the changer finger.