Elektro Pedal Steel Guitar Build

If it has Pedals...
Elektro

Elektro Pedal Steel Guitar Build

Post by Elektro »

Hello all, this is my first post here. I'm in the process of building my own pedal steel guitar, thought I would post about it. I recently decided I'd like to have a pedal steel guitar, decided I wanted to build my own. (I'm a machinist, I build and sell flashlights for a living, www.elektrolumens.com .) I've never played one, never seen one in person, just looked at photos, and I have Glucks instructions. I'm not using his instructions per se, but they give me some ideas. I used to play 6 and 12 string guitar, until I got arthritus, so bad in my fingers I can no longer play, at all. Just gave up altogether. Until the pedal steel came to my attention recently. I have a lap steel, but, it's not suited for what I want to do. I am building my pedal steel with a different idea, and my intended use is different than most. I just want to mainly strum it, and have the option of chords. So my idea is a six string, and I'll have 6 pedals: one for minor key, one for 7th, one for major 7th, and I'm going to add in a raise to have a 4th, 6th, and 9th. Pretty simple. I'll drop the 3rd a half note to get the minor, drop the 8th a whole note for the 7th, or drop it a half note for the major 7. The 3rd or 5th or 8th will be raised a whole note for the 4th 6th and 9th.

Anyway, here are a few images of the beginnings.

The neck is 3/4" x 5" 6061 aluminum, one piece. The mill is not my expertise, the lathe is, my mill is not so great, but it is working okay.

I'll add more pics as I go along. I can only spend at most 1 hour per day, so it'll take a while to complete. I'll be glad to take advice, as I have never built one before, (or played or even looked at one in person)

Elektro
Bent

Re: Elektro Pedal Steel Guitar Build

Post by Bent »

Hi Elektro and welcome! You came to the right place...here we are not lacking in advice and opinions!
I must say that is going to be one solid piece of steel guitar! The one piece changer housing/neck/keyhead should pretty well eliminate the need for the 3/4" wood (oak?) for a body, as those solid aluminum pieces will carry the whole load. If built to this method, all you really need is wood for decoration purposes ie 1/4" thick to make the whole unit that much lighter.
It sounds like this guitar will be mostly in your home? If so, you won't have much of a problem with expansion/contraction due to temperature changes.
The old Bigsby pedal steels were built like yours and also partly the Emmons PP. With those methods there have been reports of tuning difficulties with temp. variations. But like I said, if yours will be sitting in the same temperature, you should be ok.

Good luck with your build and I am sure you will keep us posted!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Hi and welcome , your build looks pretty good and i like the idea of something different not another clone , you ll find alot of pretty good guys on the forum and loads of know how any questions you might have im sure you ll get a good answer, is that oak wood your useing ? i use it alot in my builds its a great wood not only for strength but also great tone wood.Keep us posted as to your build .Russ :)
Elektro

Post by Elektro »

Bent wrote:Hi Elektro and welcome! You came to the right place...here we are not lacking in advice and opinions!
I must say that is going to be one solid piece of steel guitar! The one piece changer housing/neck/keyhead should pretty well eliminate the need for the 3/4" wood (oak?) for a body, as those solid aluminum pieces will carry the whole load. If built to this method, all you really need is wood for decoration purposes ie 1/4" thick to make the whole unit that much lighter.
It sounds like this guitar will be mostly in your home? If so, you won't have much of a problem with expansion/contraction due to temperature changes.
The old Bigsby pedal steels were built like yours and also partly the Emmons PP. With those methods there have been reports of tuning difficulties with temp. variations. But like I said, if yours will be sitting in the same temperature, you should be ok.

Good luck with your build and I am sure you will keep us posted!
I never considered how temperature would affect the metal, as opposed to if it is constructed of wood. In the future I'll comment on how well it stays in tune, or if I have difficulty. Mostly I'll use it at home. I might cart it around to friends houses, maybe not.

Thanks,
Elektro
Elektro

Post by Elektro »

azureskys wrote:Hi and welcome , your build looks pretty good and i like the idea of something different not another clone , you ll find alot of pretty good guys on the forum and loads of know how any questions you might have im sure you ll get a good answer, is that oak wood your useing ? i use it alot in my builds its a great wood not only for strength but also great tone wood.Keep us posted as to your build .Russ :)
My idea is, a simple to play guitar. From what I've read, playing a 10 string pedal steel guitar in the manner most play, is not easy. But if all you have to do is strum, push the pedal for the type of chord you want (minor, 7th, etc), move the slide to the fret to get the chord, this is very easy (to me, anyway). I have a lap steel guitar and use it this way all the time. But the limitation to major chords is my inspiration to build something that has more flexibility.

For the box, yes, oak. Originally I was not going to use aluminum for the neck. I have some alder, of which I had already machined. Oak for the box, alder for the neck. But I noticed some of the nicer steel guitars used aluminum. I decided to make it all one piece aluminum, seems to me it would be more solid. I decided not to narrow down the neck, leave it 5" wide, for strength. I might do some shaping around the fret board, but not sure.

I want a more smooth jazz tone, so I'm using a less hot humbucker pickup. I can experiment with pickups to get the smooth sound. I considered putting in two, a hot pickup and a jazz pickup, but not really enough room in my design, which is 24".

This design is different, not intended for the typical country western Nashville use at all. Tuners are push or pull, which for my use is fine, and is very simple. When I finish I'll record a song and post it on my Youtube account. Well, I'll play, and see if I can get others to sing :)

Elektro
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Boy do I ever like what I see there. I originally toyed with the idea of using pedals to get the chords as you describe in your first post, I did in the end go with a standard C6 copedant with 6 pedals. Now that I have 2 guitars I can fool around with the other one as much as I like. You'll like the heavy neck should give you lots of sustain. Are you considering a pull-release changer. Not that difficult to do and far fewer parts to make.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Elektro

Post by Elektro »

Eldon wrote:Boy do I ever like what I see there. I originally toyed with the idea of using pedals to get the chords as you describe in your first post, I did in the end go with a standard C6 copedant with 6 pedals. Now that I have 2 guitars I can fool around with the other one as much as I like. You'll like the heavy neck should give you lots of sustain. Are you considering a pull-release changer. Not that difficult to do and far fewer parts to make.
The idea of playing chords seems more interesting to me, and more usable to me for my use. Of course, individual notes can be played.

For the changer, just a simple single finger. I guess that is what you're talking about? Each finger can be either pull or push, but not both. The way I connect the bar to another part, which I don't know what to call it, determines if it's pull or push. The finger will rest against a stop with adjustment for tuning, either in push position or pull. The changer possibly will be one piece, so I can take it out, dinker with it, even make a different changer to drop in.

Elektro
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

It looks like you are off to a good start, Elektro. Strumable is good. It sounds like we have some similar ideals. No building tips here, but some ideas on tuning. I came to pedals, not because I wanted to play Nashville E9 or Swing C6 -- that's been done before and far better than I ever could -- but to expand what I want to do with my lap steel and dobro playing. I want minors, sevenths and strumability. Although I play out once in awhile, electric and acoustic, I am basically a back porch acoustic picker, so that's where I'm coming from with most of what I do. I have a Fender 400 with 8 strings and 6 pedals set up in an open G tuning. I started out thinking I would set up a tuning on my 400 in E, but the strings that were on it when I got it lent themselves better for G, so that is what I started with. It turns out that I like that, so I stuck with it. Here it is:

Code: Select all

Open    P1      P2      P3      P4      P5      P6
----    --      --      --      --      --      --

G                                       +G#     -F#

D               ++E

B       -Bb             +C

G                               --F

D               ++E

G
[/size]
The two Gs in the middle, strings 4 and 5, are tuned in unison. As you can see, P1 switches the whole tuning to minor and P4 gives one big fat seventh chord. P2 and P3 are like the A and B pedals in E9 and P5 and P6 are like the F and E levers. Listen to a sample of this tuning here: http://picosong.com/Yst

I also have a pretty funky 6-string tuned in Spanish (Open G - L2H): D G D G B D
I have had various pedal and lever configurations on that one. Currently one pedal raises the 2 higher Ds to E; one pedal raises the B to C; and one pedal drops the B to Bb. There is also LKL knee lever to raise the Gs to G#. I have been collecting parts and making sketches to build a new version. If I can ever get back to it, I will be starting a thread here.

HTH. Good luck with your project. I like it.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Elektro

Post by Elektro »

michaelm wrote:It looks like you are off to a good start, Elektro. Strumable is good. It sounds like we have some similar ideals. No building tips here, but some ideas on tuning. I came to pedals, not because I wanted to play Nashville E9 or Swing C6 -- that's been done before and far better than I ever could -- but to expand what I want to do with my lap steel and dobro playing. I want minors, sevenths and strumability. Although I play out once in awhile, electric and acoustic, I am basically a back porch acoustic picker, so that's where I'm coming from with most of what I do. I have a Fender 400 with 8 strings and 6 pedals set up in an open G tuning. I started out thinking I would set up a tuning on my 400 in E, but the strings that were on it when I got it lent themselves better for G, so that is what I started with. It turns out that I like that, so I stuck with it. Here it is:

Code: Select all

Open    P1      P2      P3      P4      P5      P6
----    --      --      --      --      --      --

D               ++E

G                               --F

D               ++E

G
[/size]
The two Gs in the middle, strings 4 and 5, are tuned in unison. As you can see, P1 switches the whole tuning to minor and P4 gives one big fat seventh chord. P2 and P3 are like the A and B pedals in E9 and P5 and P6 are like the F and E levers. Listen to a sample of this tuning here: http://picosong.com/Yst

I also have a pretty funky 6-string tuned in Spanish (Open G - L2H): D G D G B D
I have had various pedal and lever configurations on that one. Currently one pedal raises the 2 higher Ds to E; one pedal raises the B to C; and one pedal drops the B to Bb. There is also LKL knee lever to raise the Gs to G#. I have been collecting parts and making sketches to build a new version. If I can ever get back to it, I will be starting a thread here.

HTH. Good luck with your project. I like it.
Yes, sounds like we have similar interests. I'd prefer to play a regular guitar, if I could, but my fingers no longer bend, and it's quite impossible. I also cannot hold the slide for the pedal guitar in a normal manner, but I am quite able to hold it. I dampen the strings with my right hand. I plan on making a string damper on a custom slide I'll be making soon. To dampen the strings I will lean the slide to the left. I notice steel guitar players use their fingers along side the slide to do this, but it's not possible for me to do so. I think my idea will work well, just need to get around to making it. I suppose if there is a will there is a way.

Your tuning of the strings is interesting. Mine will probably be open G as yours is, but only 6 strings. Probably G - B - D - G - B - D. I tune my lap guitar to open A, but I think it will be hard for a 24" guitar to use open A. Open G is fine. Pedal 1 will drop the B strings to Bb. Pedal 2 will drop one of the G strings to F. I'm considering a stop to drop pedal 2 1/2 so I get the Major 7th, but if I don't do this, then I'll add a 3rd pedal to drop a G string to F# for a Major 7th chord. I can do a lot with just these 3 pedals. However, adding pedals for raising a 3rd to 4th, 5th to 6th, 8th to 9th, should add a lot of fun and interesting touches to the chords.

I listened to your tune, very nice.

Elektro
b0b

Post by b0b »

Here's the copedent I'd recommend. See http://pedalcaster.com for others.
Attachments
6-string C6th copedent
6-string C6th copedent
Screen shot 2011-09-11 at 6.27.52 PM.png (31.8 KiB) Viewed 9323 times