Changer finger adjustment advise please

If it has Pedals...
mike small

Changer finger adjustment advise please

Post by mike small »

I'd like to know your guys opinion on the easiest way to adjust these fingers so that the travel is longer and easier.
Right now it take too much effort and the raise happens too quick. Short of remaking the parts, what could I do to accomplish this?

Thanks for your help guys.

Mike
Attachments
IMG_20110905_134031s.jpg
IMG_20110905_134031s.jpg (76.24 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
burt

Re: Changer finger adjustment advise please

Post by burt »

If you move the middle hole up 1/8", to 5/8" from the top hole and 1 3/8" from the bottom hole, it should be easier to operate, albeit with more movement of the legs required
mike small

Post by mike small »

That was my initial thought too but as you can see, I don't really have the room to move without remanufacturing more lower fingers. Would reshaping the cam on the raise finger work? If so any suggestions for the shape?
Bent

Post by Bent »

Mike,maybe you can try this. I found this detail to be beneficial to making a longer lower travel. Note that I use a wrap style of changer (where the raise bar comes up and wraps around the changer axle, instead of the 2-rivet design.

Instead of rounding the bottom of your string finger, cut it on a straight angle. Then you have to make the rounded part of the lower bar hit right on the point of the top of the angle. When you go to lower, the drop will be quicker and thereby offer more lowering.

As for the raise, if you could extend the raise finger upwards so that you can get the middle rivet closer to the round part on the string finger.
If interested, I can send you a pic of my wrap style changer. I believe it is this style that is the most popular nowadays.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Rick Dillon

Post by Rick Dillon »

Shobud changer finger question? On the lowering finger that grooves into the string finger, could a guy file down the groove flat again bend the top of the finger straight and install a roller bearing with rivets and cure this hang up problem, instead of replacing the whole changer out? PLEASE HELP. Thanks Rick D.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Rick, it could be done...with some finesse. What you DO need is enough space between fingers
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Rick Dillon

Post by Rick Dillon »

Thanks Bent, will give it a try for sure. Thanks again Rick