Pedal Stops....

If it has Pedals...
mac639

Pedal Stops....

Post by mac639 »

I was just thinking about something. It's always nice to have a really positive stop when you push a pedal. On all the steels I've made I just use an adjustable bolt or something like that under the guitar as part of the pedal puller bracket. I was wondering if any of you folks ever tried an adjustable stop right under the pedal. Are there any "PRO" steels that do that. At least it eliminates slack or stretch before the conventional stop spot. Just curious..
Cheers,
Mac
Bent

Re: Pedal Stops....

Post by Bent »

Mac, if the stop was mounted somehow under the pedal I would be afraid of too much flexing and the stop would turn out "spongy"...Imagine the leverage you would have working against that stop if you were to mount it close to the pedal bar somehow. Sure, a solid stop right under the pedal pad would be effective but right now I can't see how this could be accomplished.
Here is how I did it and it gave an amazingly solid stop effect. First, I switched from nylon to aluminum in the stop itself then I machined out a slot in the wood right above the rail, for a gusset on the stop to go into. This gusset rides on top of the rail and prevents twisting of the stop. Then I tried to get the stop screw on the pedal crank to line up with the hold-down screw in the stop. I installed a hard nylon tip on the pedal crank screw so when it hits the stop, all you hear is a pleasing "thuck" instead of the loud metallic sound of two pieces of metal hitting.
Also, if you care to, study the pedal stop that Carter has. A simple, strong and effective idea for a stop. Also, it does not add weight!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

This one's probably going to be right off the wall folks. My current build (more pics to come) has pedal stops but they didn't work very well - a bit more engineering required there.

My solution was to use the floor as my pedal stop. It works great - as long as the flooring is short nap carpet or something soild like linoleum. My solution for now in the interm would be a piece of 1/4 -3/8 inch plywood under the front legs and pedals. A piece 7 inches by 27 inches will do the trick for me. Haven't tried the plywood yet but the carpet is noisless, simple and is a positive stop that does not add extra strain on the guitar.

I live north of the tracks, what else can I say.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
burt

Post by burt »

I put pedal stops under the pedals on my first few builds, but it was difficult getting them substantial enough to do the job.
The conventional siting of pedal stops is more than adequate, and on a well-built steel should not contribute to cabinet drop