American Steel build

If it has Pedals...
Ross Shafer

American Steel build

Post by Ross Shafer »

Howdy all,

I was going to wait to post pictures of this beast until I got the wood front apron and rear deck cut, finished and mounted, but that part of the project has been waiting in the wings for at least two months and I don't see myself getting to it anytime soon.

This is a push pull rig with changers at both ends. Lowers are are on the right side and raises at the left.

I had the opportunity to buy all the left over American Steel parts, so I went for it and this is the result. I still have a bunch of parts left...I've got most of the parts for two single neck guitars including some bodies (the bodies are pretty funky and the endplates are doubles, as you can see from my pics...its not too big a deal to chop and reweld them to singles). If anyone is interested in taking on a new project, I'd like to sell the remaining parts. You can contact me at: scoboni(at)comcast(dot)net

oops....too many pics...I'll put the rest in another post
Attachments
mercan 2.JPG
mercan 2.JPG (158.39 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
American endplate 2.JPG
American endplate 2.JPG (86.42 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
american endplate 1.JPG
american endplate 1.JPG (91.88 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
Last edited by Ross Shafer on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross Shafer

Re: American Steel build

Post by Ross Shafer »

3 more pics to follow
Attachments
'mercan 4.JPG
'mercan 4.JPG (184.38 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
'mercan 3.JPG
'mercan 3.JPG (166.2 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
'mercan 1.JPG
'mercan 1.JPG (200.11 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

that's all folks...I'm too busy right now to spend a lot of time answering questions by email or on the forum. It's much easier for me to answer your questions (if any) on the phone. Email at the addy in the first post and I'll send you my phone number.

Have a good day gang,
Ross
Attachments
ross build 3.JPG
ross build 3.JPG (101.18 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
ross build 2.JPG
ross build 2.JPG (109.71 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
ross build 1.JPG
ross build 1.JPG (133.16 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Hi Ross, I like what you have done with the guitar there, some amazng work , i noticed the gears did you cut them ?Never knew about american steel , anyway thats some nice work .what parts do you have that you wanna sell let me know. Russ
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Thanks Russ, but I can't take credit for much other than chopping the end plates and doing the assembly. American Steel was a short lived venture of Bobby Bowman's and a machinist pal of his. I think they opened and closed shop back around 2001.

The gears are an off the shelf item that was part of the original design. I did have to drill the center larger. There's more gear sets in the package I'm selling.

There's a big pile of parts here that I'd like to sell as a whole package. I've already got someone first in line if I decide to sell off bits and pieces. if you'd like first crack at the whole banana contact me at the email addy in my first post, other wise I'll post some pics here and on the SGF later today or tomorrow.

Have a good day guys and thanks for your interest Russ,
Ross
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Her'es pics of all the parts I have for sale...I'm asking $1150 for the whole pile. Building one complete guitar will require making a few simple parts. Building a second rig will require making a few more of some of the parts. I'm happy to answer your questions via phone. please email me at scoboni(at)comcast(dot)net, if you have any interest

Also included but not pictured are numerous fasteners, pull rod fittings and 4 fret boards.

As I mentioned in my post above, I've already got someone who's first in line for some of these parts if I don't find a single buyer for all of them.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG (133.21 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0389.JPG (137.42 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG (116.03 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

TTT