Modified Pull Release (relates to pull-release thread)...

If it has Pedals...
Scott Howard

Re: Modified Pull Release (relates to pull-release thread)...

Post by Scott Howard »

Bent
Not really. You do push to release it . But you are not actually pushing it ( the string finger) . On a push / pull you actually push the finger . See link

http://www.steelguitar.com/steelmap/maptop/ppchangr.htm

This may or may not be correct , but the way I see it .

Alan
I am a huge fan of keyless , and have finished 2 MSA keyless conversions and have a body cut and waiting for my third MSA . I converted a push / pull Emmons many years ago but changed it back to sell it. I also have a tuner and thoughts of doing the Dekley I have. Scott
Allan

Post by Allan »

Scott Howard wrote: I am a huge fan of keyless...
I must admit that I never liked the idea of a keyless tuner until I saw one 'in the flesh'. I used to live in Houston and one day I decided that I was going to take an interest in PSG so out came the Yellow Pages. I found that Herb Remington lived across town and was building the Remington Steel PSG's at the time. I called him to see if there was a local stockist and he said not to worry about that, just come on over. So I did. Took me a few minutes to realize why these things looked so strangely short yet has so many strings. Mr. Remington explained some of the theory regarding how the guitar returns to its basic tuning on release of a pedal/knee lever with less string behind the nut. He also touched on the fact that it MAY improve tone to have less string there too. All together it was a really amazing visit. His guitars were way out of my price range, I wasn't going to spend that much as a total beginner. I told the man this but it made no difference to his treatment of me. When I left his home I had been given a short lesson in real basic stuff, a bundle of magazines and reproduced articles, some printed teaching stuff and an invitation to a couple of his up coming gigs. I also had a changed attitude to the concept of keyless tuners. Like every steel player I have ever chatted with, Mr. Remington is a total gentleman in my book.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
burt

Post by burt »

The Marlen pull-release system
Attachments
Pull-Release diagram.jpg
Pull-Release diagram.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Allan

Post by Allan »

WOAH! OK, now I get it. That is what I need, it does all that I want it to and so easily too. I think I was so hung up on trying to get away from using a pushing mechanism that I never grasped that is really DOESN'T push at all.
images.jpg
images.jpg (2.52 KiB) Viewed 845 times
It PULLS against the spring!

So, a complete re-think is going on here and I am sooooo happy to be doing it.

Thanks Burt.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!