Modified Pull Release (relates to pull-release thread)...

If it has Pedals...
Allan

Re: Modified Pull Release (relates to pull-release thread)...

Post by Allan »

These two threads have been of huge value to me. The animation that I posted in the other one was, as I said, for discussion and has proved it's worth as far as I am concerned. At the beginning I had no idea what a pull/release system was all about.
I agree that the two axle system seems like a complex way to go about things - thanks for all the input on that.
I also had very little knowledge on the amount of angular movement required to make changes. Thanks for all the input on that too.

I am now re-working my drawing with a single finger and I will post it for comment as soon as it is ready.

Regards, Allan.....

PS If anyone can post a diag. of a pull/release (with stops) it would clear up any remaining misunderstanding in my mind. There are no tuning nuts at the end plate position?
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

There is a good explanation in the Winnie Winston book on this changer on page 110 and 111 . Here is a link that may help and a few pictures'

http://julianwinston.com/music/sell2.php
Attachments
ts_end.jpg
ts_end.jpg (10.83 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
ts_chang.jpg
ts_chang.jpg (30.77 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
sell2.jpg
sell2.jpg (17.77 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
Allan

Post by Allan »

Thank you Scott, exactly what I needed.

Best regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Just my opinion...it is alot easyer to make a simple all-pull changer. :P
Allan

Post by Allan »

Pat Comeau wrote:Just my opinion...it is alot easyer to make a simple all-pull changer. :P
Hi Pat, I am still looking at the whole thing but I am tending to agree with you on that one.

Allan.....
burt

Post by burt »

Scotts diagram of a pull-release system is a lot more complex than my Marlen changer.

If your style of playing requires splits, and hardly any slack in the pulling train, then all-pull is the way to go.

But if your copedent is simple, you can save yourself a ton of work, and gain a ton of tone, by making a simple single-finger pull-release changer.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Burt, is there somewhere I can get a diagram of how that one works? I am all for simple!

Thanks, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

See if this helps but remember , I am not a artist . The changer above is from a GES guitar , on the link from Winston's site . The drawing below is from Winston's book and I have never fooled with any of these pull / release changers , but Burt sure sonds good on his.
Attachments
pull release.JPG
pull release.JPG (18.78 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
Allan

Post by Allan »

Thanks Scott, that is pretty much the same as the pics on the Winnie Winston site. I may be wrong but I think that Burt is saying that his guitar is much simpler than that.

I think I must have read every word on the WW site though (the steel pages I mean). It is fascinating. Now I am thinking about keyless tuners!

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Scott, so this is like a push-pull? Your drawing shows "push to Lower"
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.