Why not pull-release?

If it has Pedals...
burt

Why not pull-release?

Post by burt »

I don't know why some home-builders with simple copedents dont simplify the mechanics and make pull-release changers instead of all-pull changers.

A pull-release can be set up to do everything that an all-pull can do, with the exception of split-tuning and having slightly more travel in a pedal/lever if a string is both raised and lowered.

I have two pull-release steels (which are the equal tone-wise to any steel out there) with the standard 3 pedals and 4 levers. and no issues at all with them :D
Georg

Re: Why not pull-release?

Post by Georg »

Sure, why not - if the copedants are simple enough. Present some pictures/drawings of pull-release, and some may become interested enough to use them in their own constructions.

For me the need for split-tuning pretty much excludes all but variants of all-pull, but those other changer-constructions are nevertheless interesting.
Allan

Post by Allan »

I am not quite sure what constitutes a pull-release. I have seen the expression many times and wondered.

Yeah, a sketch or a pic wold be most welcome - I am all for keeping it simple.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
bobby burns

Post by bobby burns »

A lot of my favorite steels are simple pull release setups, and a lot of my favorite steel music was made on them. A well made pull release is a fine guitar to play.
Anders Eriksson

Post by Anders Eriksson »

Don't know if a pull-release is the same as an push-pull?

But here is a description of a push-pull
http://www.steelguitar.com/steelmap/maptop/ppchangr.htm

// Anders
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I was thinking the pull release was a term for the single finger type and the finger with the string was all there was to it. Most did not carry a complicated setup because of difficulty but not impossible task of raising and lowering the same string. I think a lot of Marlen's had pull / release changers but no real sure. Deffinatly not the same as a Emmons push / pull . I think Simmons in Alabama is using a pull / release on his econmy model steels. Here is a link to a picture of a Marlen.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... da0db8c429
Georg

Post by Georg »

The single-finger changer is the easy part. The balancing-system for both raise and lower of same string is less clear, and if one wants more than one lower on one string the balancing-act can IMO become a bit too complicated.

I think the GFI student model is (still) a pull-release, the tuning instruction indicates so, and it is a good example of a copedant that works well on pull-release steels.
Allan

Post by Allan »

So, do I have this right? A pull/release changer works with string tension against a spring? Sort of like a guitar tremolo system for each string?

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
bobby burns

Post by bobby burns »

On a pull release you have a spring pulling against the string tension, but the spring is also pulling the pull rod against a solid stop. When I have time, I'll try to scan and post a diagram.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Thanks Bobby, much appreciated.

I have made an animated GIF today that I think may be along the right lines. Possibly it is to the next level but as soon as I get the word from Larry regarding whether these files are enabled I will see if I can post it here.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.