Pedal Rod Spacing

If it has Pedals...
Eldon

Pedal Rod Spacing

Post by Eldon »

This has been asked before in a different way (Pedal Spacing). I believe it was Pat who uses 2 3/4 inch spacing. I hate to be contrary but I drew it up on my proto board this morning and it seems too wide. 2 1/4 inch seems more reasonable to me with a 1 inch pedal.

Is there a standard, some other ball park figure or is it personal preference.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Storm Rosson

Re: Pedal Rod Spacing

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) My Fessy,BMI, and Bud are all 2 1/2" apart...Stormy ;)
Bent

Post by Bent »

I go with Storm and his fessy etc... I used 2 3/4" on my last two and wish I had used 2 1/2" with my 1" pedals. Once in a long while my foot wants to slip off either A or B pedal. No fun.

The only reason I did this at building time was that I had some difficulty making pedal cranks that I felt were long enough for the correct leverage. It gets to be somewhat of a headache to place the cross shafts 2 1/2" apart and then maybe having to slip a cross shaft for a knee lever in there and still make adequate room for everything including the right pedal crank.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Eldon -

2 1/2" on my GFI.

Wish I had real skinny feet then I could scrunch 8 pedals down to the width of four!

Richard
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Eldon,

if you make your pedals spacing shorther...you'll have to do the same with all you cross shafts underneath, and by having the shafts closer it'll make the pedal travel shorther and harder, i'll say it again...when you change a measurement somewhere it affects somewhere else so you have to have everything figured and planed out before you start your build, if you haven't started yet than it's ok :) , i use the measurement 2-3/4" same as sho-bud ,MSA and Emmons and most.

Pat C
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:?: Pat I surely don't know what u consider most ,I DO know that I have a Fessy settin in my livin room, a BMI s-10 in a case under the bed, and just a few weeks ago I measured my buddies Sho-Bud LDG-Pro III , which is in my kitchen in the case, and all 3 have a pedal rod spacing of 2 1/2"....I guess they are one of a kind.....Stormy :|
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Storm, i dont know about Fessenden but i know for a fact that Sho-bud use 2- 3/4" pedals wide, i have bought and used narrow sho-bud pedals on my last build and i also have one left here and it measures 2- 3/4", also the pedals i've used for my #2 build were from a Linkon Steel and it measured 2-3/4", it makes sense cause you'll have problems fitting cross shafts ect...,maybe the fessy has somekind of spacing in between pedals i'm not sure. :?, it up to you if you want to have a cramped up undercarriage with no room to work, make sure you measure the distance from the middle of the pedals to the middle of the other...cause if you measured the distance in between pedals it'll give you something like 2 /1/2". :P

Pat C :)
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) Pat, we're not talking about the width of the pedal per se, but the distance from one foot pedal cross shaft to the next one. Technically if u measured the distance at the top of the pedal pull rod it could vary on a Sho-Bud at least, as they usually have 3 different holes to hang the rod in....thus changing the pedal throw etc. My Fessy and BMI are set with only 1 hole to hang the rod in and they are 2 1/2" apart...Stormy ;)
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

That's what i said...2-3/4" distance cross shafts and the pedals is the same.
Attachments
pp.JPG
pp.JPG (43.25 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Got it guys, thanks informative as usual. Diagram says it all Pat, Still prototyping parts so I haven't committed yet. Thanks!
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon