Comeau #4 SD 4x5 mica

If it has Pedals...
Pat Comeau

Re: Comeau #4 SD 4x5 mica

Post by Pat Comeau »

Bent wrote:Pat, every guitar you make seems to be an improvement over the previous one. That's the way it is supposed to be and it also means that you are definitely doing things right and are growing in your craft. It pleases me to no end. You have come a long way from the first Comeau with the wooden keyhead which in itself was a great first steel.

I like the way you have flocked the underneath on this one. So clean and tidy looking. The metal parts also attest to improved workmanship. The mica job, although not my cup of tea, is worth 100% in my judgment. It is simply great, especially considering it's your first one as I gather.
Where did the end plates come from? They look so nice and finished underneath! Did yo apply some elbow grease there? The keyhead looks great as well ;)
The pillow blocks for the changer axle...did you make them yourself? How are they fastened? To the changer housing or are they bolted straight thru the housing and woodwork with a nut underneath?

A scary thought comes to mind when you get your mill. No one will be able to compete with you!!
Carry on my friend.
Thanks guys for the nice compliments once again...it's always nice to hear it when you work hard on something and it comes out great :)

Bent my ol'friend...on this PSG i've made everything from scratch even the roller bearing in the bellcranks, legs,pedals and the half stop, i've found a way to build half stop real cheap and it looks just like the real thing and easy to do also, the pillow blocks are screw on top of the changer housing, the housing is bolt through the body underneath, about the elbow grease?...no everything is buffed to a mirror shine on my buffer, i've made the end plates with 1/4" aluminum and welded together, the only parts i didn't make is the roller bridge, rollers and the keyhead that i've it had made from a good ol' friend of mine from Ontario...maybe you know him! is name is Bent :P, once i get a mill i'll be all set, but i have to say...that with a aluminum welder you can make alot of things and i wouldn't do without it now even with a mill the welder will still be my main tool for making or fixing some parts. :)

ps, i'll post some more pics when i'm done and also some sound samples.

Pat C
Allan

Post by Allan »

Pat, I can't improve on what Bent said - looks like total perfection to me. I'm not big on the Formica thing either but that build of yours comes as close as I have ever been to changing my attitude. That is really nice looking - the color is just so nice. Very well done - again.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Pat -

I've just gotta add one more comment. We've all seen the usual and garden variety mica on hundreds of instruments. It does get pretty boring after awhile. When I first saw your choice in mica, I had serious doubts as to whether I'd like it. Your latest photos have dispelled that doubt. When finished, that particular mica pattern will add a touch of class not seen anywhere else. Way to go, Bubba! Right on!

Richard
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Pat
I like the way you have the pedals over more towards the center of the guitar and
not way over left! I plan to do this on my guitar as well as it will give a nice feel
on the pedals! When you play the pedals are right there where the the left foot
is. The guitar is looking great!
Wayne
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Thanks Richard,Allen and Wayne, when building a PSG you have to think of the comfortability and feel of the guitar first and the looks second IMO, i've had a guy here in town that bought a 75 Sho-Bud LDG and brought it to me to work on it a couple of weeks ago , the guitar was in real good shape for the year but the playing and feel and knee's position was awfull all was original on it from the factory, i've added the 9th lower and 6th lower full tone and changed all the knee levers position and also changed his copedent to Emmons and tuned all the pulls...the guitar now plays and feels better then when it was new, the position and spacing of the knee levers is really important, one critical spacing is the distance between the LKL and RKR that will determine how wide you'll have to spread open your knees, also one thing you have to consider is that some people are taller and bigger :).
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Pat
Im trying to put lots of thought into the feel and playability of my design as well! No
matter how good the guitar looks, if it feels odd to play, then you have a problem!
I have played many different steels over the years and one will have a nice feel
to play and another wont! I agree with you and this IMO. is more important than
looks! IMO. your guitars have both things going for them and im amazed at how
fast you build as well! I always use a low profile volume pedal because my legs are
quite long from my knees down and my knees end up high under the guitar! Ever
one is built a bit different. Major builders know however that sharp looks often times
will sell the guitar! These guitars are quite complex to build and i always envy your
work!!
Wayne