Adjustable lower springs

If it has Pedals...
Scott Howard

Adjustable lower springs

Post by Scott Howard »

I have been more of a modifier of existing guitars but have been collecting parts to build one of my own.
I have been faced with addind adjustable lower springs several times on guitars that originally did not have them. I came up with a easy solution and have used them on a double neck and a single neck with very good results.
I buy brass 6-32 wing nuts and trim one ear down a bit and remove the other completely . By turning them around backwards to the normal way it gives you a neat little hook for the spring and the screw goes right up the middle. Here is a link to a thread with a pic at the bottom of the page and a bracket that I made in a hurry and redid later.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=167705

Not sure how to just post the picture yet.
Allan

Re: Adjustable lower springs

Post by Allan »

Scott, that spring mounting system is excellent. I am working (slowly) on a hobby guitar. I have been wondering how to do just that task and you have solved it for me in a single go. Neat as can be. Thanks for the info.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Pat Comeau

Re: Adjustable lower springs

Post by Pat Comeau »

Here's the picture of the spring and wing nut he's talking about... :)
Richard
Here is how I make the adjustable lower springs. The bracket was made before I got my tranfer screws and has a extra hole but you get the idea .
I use spring # 65 in the local Ace hardware spring bin . It is a 9/32 and .041 for size and long enough to make 4 springs. I make the adjusters out of 6-32 brass wing nuts. Trim one ear and remove the other. The screw goes right up the middle of the spring . All available at the local hardware and in my price range.
Attachments
2702_Oct05235_2.jpg
2702_Oct05235_2.jpg (27.75 KiB) Viewed 1621 times