sheffield steel

Changer/Pick up Housing

Post by sheffield steel »

See my photos of changer/pick up housing

Dave
Attachments
D10 010 - Copy (640x273).jpg
D10 010 - Copy (640x273).jpg (126.8 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
Last edited by sheffield steel on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
azureskys

Re: Changer/Pick up Housing

Post by azureskys »

Hi Dave , thats a very pretty changer housing , do you make them yourself ? machined or casting?. Russ
sheffield steel

Hi Russ,
a friend of mine who is a machinist makes them for me from my drawings & they are machined out of a solid billet of aluminium.

Dave. :D
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Dave, that there is good lookin' stuff. Keep those pictures a coming......Mike
Georg

Post by Georg »

Nice and wide. How will it be bolted down?
burt

Post by burt »

It's a nice piece of engineering, but I think that you are limiting your options pickup-wise by not having a straight-through cavity with a spring mounted pickup plate.

A pickup mounting plate can be retrofitted to any steel, as long as said steel has a straight-through pickup cavity.
This will help to 'future proof' the steel.

A recent development in pickup technology, the Lace Alumitone, fits nicely on a spring mounted plate, but might be more difficult to fit on the Sheffield, with its fixed mounting holes.
sheffield steel

Hi Burt,
I hear what you are saying but I can fit ANY pick up into the housing, i.e alumitone, george L, Bill Lawrence 705/710 etc, because the housing is a blank to start with and the recess is of a standard size (L, W, D) the only operation to do is to drill and tap the holes to mount the pick up. All my pick ups are all set on adjustable springs, so no problem there (see photos). Also a supplimentary base plate could be added which is screwed to said housing using original holes, with the new mounting holes drilled in the plate for new pick up, no problemo.

Dave. :D
Attachments
SHEFFIELD 0 - Copy (640x437).jpg
SHEFFIELD 0 - Copy (640x437).jpg (210.33 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Mike's D10 008 - Copy (640x458).jpg
Mike's D10 008 - Copy (640x458).jpg (202.77 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Last edited by sheffield steel on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven Mccauley

Post by Steven Mccauley »

what is the cost for your friend to make these? for you. they look great
sheffield steel

Hi Steven,

This is my own design and is only intended for the Sheffield PSG so individually I'm affraid they are not sale.
As for cost? I do not know and as he has his own small company and he just fits me in from time to time as I need parts made, which is usually a complete guitars worth of machining, you know end plates, peg head, bell cranks/pull bars, cross shafts, pedals etc, so he gives me a price as a job lot not as individual pieces. The cost of one billet of aluminium to buy is approx £25-£30 ($45), I'm guessing here but I think that there are 2 days machining, drilling & tapping, then finishing & polishing (1-2 days) so cost wise probably it is quite expensive to produce, but I don't want to cut corners in manufacturing.

PS: I hope that no one is offended by my opening comment, but we all want to share info as much as we can with one another to further the advancement of this wonderfull instrument, this is the ethos of this forum.
Dave.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Dave -

If memory serves me correctly, you've used that basic design on other instruments. When I first viewed it, I couldn't help but marvel at how neat and clean it was. Almost needless to say, I sorta vowed to "steal" the idea when I got around to concocting my own.

Rather than lay myself open to criticism, I'll just ask you up front if you would mind if I used the basic idea for my own instrument. In my mind, it would fit quite neatly around the "knife edge" changer that I've been working on.

Pretty please?

Richard