Steel Project #4

If it has Pedals...
Bent

Steel Project #4

Post by Bent »

Seeing how some bell cranks and pedals are taking shape, I guess I will announce the start of steel number 4. It will be an SD 10 unless something or someone changes my mind.

I have a page running on Facebook with pics. I will also start a new photo page on photobucket.

Here are a couple of pics of my work so far. Hope you all like it!
Pedal.jpg
Pedal.jpg (24 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
Attachments
Bellcranks.jpg
Bellcranks.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Dave-M

Re: Steel Project #4

Post by Dave-M »

Beautiful work, Bent. You have me drooling!!!
Conceive, believe, achieve!
mac639

Post by mac639 »

(singing)

Oh...a machinist he will be,
a machinist he will be,
Hi..ho, the Derry O,
It's great for us to see!

beautiful stuff Bent

Mac
Bent

Post by Bent »

Thanks guys.
Dave, welcome to the forum!
Mac, I didn't know you sing AND play steel. That's tricky!
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

Yer gonna wear out that ole TOS miller!

Did you ever resolve that problem in cutting the notches where the bellcrank slides over the crossrod? Would like to know.

At the rate that you're going, you should be finished with it by, say, next Wednesday?

Richard
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

...give the guy a ton of motorized metal and a few chunks of aluminum, and look what he goes and does with it...

go Bent go, looks great! My envy meter is redlining.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Hehe thanks Ross. Your encouragement really does help. I hope y'all know that.

Richard...that was where the notch turning out too big. Funny thing that is. Here's how it worked. I used a 3/8" (.375)end mill to cut perfect .375 slots in the bell cranks to go over the 3/8" cross shafts. As it turned out, those .375 slots turned out to measure .383". After some head-scratching, I phoned my engineer buddy who told me that this is normal! Repetitive passes will in fact widen out the slot by a few thou. He says the only remedy for this is to sharpen the cutter repeatedly so it loses a few thou and problem solved. Luckily I had a stash of 3/8" cross shafts that measured...you guessed it... .382!
When I run out of oversized cross shafts, I guess I will have to sharpen this bit and make it a dedicated bell crank cutter.
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Bent:
Did you have to use an eight thou shim to fit the cranks?
Wondered if aluminum foil wrap would do it, or is it too delicate?

I experimented on a bellcrank for a round shaft, and made a couple of cuts at the back "corners" (ha ... round hole) so it would deform and hold tighter. It worked, but not nice to look at.
Conceive, believe, achieve!
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Yo Bent,

No need for the custom diameter cutter. Do your slot to its full depth with a .25" endmill then advance the table a few times for a total of .125 and you'll have the your .375" slot. This method gives better control of the slot width, and allows you to "climb cut" what will be the final inside faces of your slot...climb cutting almost always give a better finish in aluminum than "conventional" cutting....just be sure to use smaller depth passes when climb cutting. Don't ever hesitate to contact me directly if you think I can help you in any way.

Have fun!
Ross
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Bent,
I agree with Ross about the smaller cutter, a 5/16" .312 would probably give better stability.
Lookin good, sure beats the table saw method, also a lot safer.

Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.