Inlays

If it has Pedals...
sheffield steel

Inlays

Post by sheffield steel »

Hi all,

Bent I'm back on the trail again! NO WILL POWER!
I've done a paua shell & mop inlay on my Sheffield, but still a lot of work to do.

Dave.
Attachments
Mike's D10 005 (640x259).jpg
Mike's D10 005 (640x259).jpg (126.08 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
Mike's D10 010 (640x479).jpg
Mike's D10 010 (640x479).jpg (198 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
Eldon

Re: Inlays

Post by Eldon »

I am simply blown away by some of the work that that is done by members of this forum. I aim for functional pieces and you guys put art and eyecandy into it. Thank you so much for giving someone like me something to shoot for.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Bent

Post by Bent »

Dave, I knew you'd be back :-) That work is absolutely stunning. So detailed and superbly A-1. Like the little extra touch there with the changer housing extending down into the pickup cavity. And the inlay...not a joint line to see no place. And the finely sanded birdseye maple..not a mini-flaw in it. Your work and products ooze of quality and sense for detail. Keep those (detailed) pictures coming as the guitar comes together.

Eldon, we may as well not fret over it. Dave is a notch above...he has made several guitars, he is a a machinist(I think) and has an extra keen eye and hand for this. You know, some day I am gonna come see you Dave and you can give me pointers.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Dave -

I, too, am in awe of your fine craftsmanship. First rate all the way!

For certain, my first attempts at MOP inlays will be restricted to, essentially, straight-line stuff. If you - or anyone else - is feeling adventurous and would like something much, much more challenging then do yourself a favor and browse this site completely: -

http://www.luthiersupply.com/

I've got an idea for the fretboard for my "masterpiece" using somewhat complicated MOP inlays. When I can get around to it - I've got so many darned things to do - I'll do a small version and post pictures.

For now, I think that I'll just drool over your stuff and do a little dreaming.

Richard
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Dave...that is some nice work :o , beautifull inlays and the birds eyed maple on that cabinet is just outstanding also.

once again nice work and keep us update on this beautifull peice of artwork.

Pat C :)
sheffield steel

Thank you all for your very kind words. You know, I am self taught at this inlay game, a novice really, I'm still learning and experimenting (playing around with inlays & a Dremel really). Bent my friend, what can I say, you are always so complimentary about my work, thank you. I have done a little machining in the past but being an aero space / neuclear multi coded welder and an engineering back ground of some 37 years, not to mention an obsesive passion for this beautiful instrument may have helped, I now teach welding technology at a large naval academy. So I do hope that I've put a little of my back ground here and Bent, yes WE MUST meet up some time & talk steel, do you have web cam?

All my very best,

Dave. :geek:
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Dave....your work is amazing! Having done just a bit of it in years gone by I know what exacting and time consuming effort is required. Do you buy the shell pieces or cut your own? I've had some beautiful large abalone and pearl shells for years but never have got the nerve up to slice them up.
Anyway...again a beautiful job!
Mac
Bent

Post by Bent »

Dave, yes I have a web cam. You can find me on Skype under the name beroro. That goes for the rest of you too.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
sheffield steel

Hi Mac,
I bought the paua in strips of 135mm L x 2.5mm W x 1.5mm thick & then joined them & YES it took a LONG time & a lot of patience (not sure of the spelling?). The front & rear aprons will be stained the same as the 2 necks (walnut) & the decks will remain blonde maple. I hope that you like the photos.

Bent I got you on skype now.

Dave. :D
Attachments
D10D 011 - Copy.jpg
D10D 011 - Copy.jpg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 4508 times
D10D 012 - Copy (640x458).jpg
D10D 012 - Copy (640x458).jpg (233.51 KiB) Viewed 4508 times
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Dave, That walnut stain sure makes that maple look great. Your inlay work is beyond expression

Mike
Last edited by Farmer on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.