Changer Fingers

If it has Pedals...
Eldon

Changer Fingers

Post by Eldon »

I'm playing with Google Sketchup and I was thinking that perhaps this changer finger would work. I'm not too sure which system (push-pull or pull release) I have here. The sketch shows what we'll call string relief. The finger itself would be a bit of work but I like the simplicity of it. Any thoughts??
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Eldon

Re: Changer Fingers

Post by Eldon »

Oops I blew something!

Eldon
mac639

Post by mac639 »

I'm getting a picture of something.....snore....snore.....what is it...I can't quite make it out......she's got legs I think....no boobs....what the heck I'll just wait.....
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Sorry about that guys. Let's try this again. Something much smaller this time.
Finger2.jpg
Finger2.jpg (17.3 KiB) Viewed 2262 times

Eldon
Bent

Post by Bent »

Eldon, That looks like one of the pull-release variety. I like the idea where the string comes through the finger, then hits air until it contacts on that little edge on top. I am starting to believe that the string needs not a whole lot of contact point for maximum sustain.
Another thing: We seem so adamant about grooving the rollers and having the string touch just the sides of the groove - again for max sustain. So why not groove the finger as well? It would only make sense wouldn't it?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
burt

Post by burt »

Bent,
That drawing is almost exactly like the Marlen finger that I posted photo's of a few days ago.

You are visualising it the wrong way around, Bent, the string goes through from the flat edge, then wraps around the radius.
12string

Post by 12string »

Eldon,
Is the string relief arrangement there for better tone or intonation adjustment?
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Burt:
Your right, I'm using it for my modeling purposes for now at least.

12string:
The string relief arrangement is for easier intonation setup and because there "may be less fuzzy area" where the string breaks contact with the changer. Similar to a guitar nut/bridge. Getting them accurate all the way across may be a problem and perhaps I'm getting a bit too picky - I don't know. I know it's not conventional but................

Eldon
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Eldon:
I am no musician, no training, just putter around at home with guitars, so I could be way off the mark.

I thought that the intonation thing was for string stretches as the musician depressed strings to the fretboard, and stretched only certain strings by doing so. On a PSG all the strings are barred equally.

Pros ... am I wrong?

I made a tuner that tilts horizontally with a set screw, to shorten the highs, or lengthen the lows, but wound up with putting it at right angles anyway.

I thought I could compensate for the weight of the bar on the thicker strings, which don't need to travel as far as the thinner ones to detune. Now I hold the bar at a slight angle instead.
Conceive, believe, achieve!
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Hey, Y'all -

Ran into this when Georg and I were kicking around a couple of things a month ago. It's the abstract to a published paper and written in typical nerd-speak but you should be able to get the gist of the whole thing.

The problem of a string vibrating against a smooth obstacle is investigatedin this paper. The obstacle is located at one of the boundaries and thestring is assumed to wrap and unwrap around the obstacle during vibration.The wrapping of the obstacle is modeled by a series of perfectly inelasticcollisions between the obstacle and adjacent segments of the string andunwrapping is assumed to be energy conserving. The geometry of the stringis determined iteratively starting from an initial configuration where thestring is vibrating in a single mode and is not in contact with theobstacle. The obstacle can be regarded as a passive mechanism for vibrationsuppression in which the energy lost during each cycle of oscillationdepends on the energy content of the string at the beginning of the cycle.Numerical simulation results are provided for the string vibrating indifferent modes for circular- and elliptic-shaped obstacles. The loss ofenergy is found to be greater for higher modes of oscillation and forobstacles that induce greater length of wrapping.

The end result is that larger diameter changer fingers have a greater negative impact upon tone and sustain than smaller ones. Carried to somewhat of an extreme, the same could be said for the diameter of roller nuts. It appeared to be slanted toward the PSG but I couldn't spring the $35 for the entire paper. If I run into something more pointed then I'll post it here on the forum.

Richard