pics of tool to round square cross rods

If it has Pedals...
Farmer

pics of tool to round square cross rods

Post by Farmer »

My design for a tool to round the ends of square cross rods..
Attachments
side view
side view
100_3377 (800x600).jpg (414.82 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
close up
close up
100_3379 (800x600).jpg (333.01 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
bottom view
bottom view
100_3408 (800x600).jpg (487.42 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Ross Shafer

Re: pics of tool to round square cross rods

Post by Ross Shafer »

that's Bitchin'! Cool tool!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks Ross, I didn't have a lathe, so I done some thinking, figured out what needed to be done, and came up with this......Mike
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Great idea, Farmer.

Has anyone tried screwing bolt shanks into the ends of the square crossbar? Guess you would have to be dead on centre with the drill though.
Conceive, believe, achieve!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Dave, I would think it would be a little touchy trying to keep it centered, then you would have to go to a smaller size....Mike
ljs

Post by ljs »

Hi Farmer,
You know I've been studying these pictures since you first posted them, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how you use this tool. I'm a retired machinist, and I ought to be able to figure it out. The only thing I have come up with is that you chuck the right end of the tool as pictured in the first picture in a drill, and then feed the square shaft into hollow on the other end and then the diamond shaped piece is an insert that turns the diameter when the tool is turned.The finished diameter is adjusted by loosening the cap screw and rotating the insert into the shaft. I'll probably feel like a real fool when you explain it, but what the heck, maybe somebody else is wondering the same thing. Thanks.
LaVern
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

LaVern, you have got it right, that is exactly how it goes. I should have posted a picture of it in my drill press....On one of Fulawaka's videos on You-Tube, he shows how it works. The only difference is his has cutters in a circle around a hole. It is called a hollow mill. I only have two cutters, so I needed a guide to keep it square on the shaft. I also grind the end of the shaft to round the corners, makes it start better...Thanks, LaVern for the interest...Mike
ljs

Post by ljs »

Mike,
Thanks for the quick response. Looks pretty neat. A while back I was making some cross-shafts for a GFI I owned and I went out and bought a 4 jaw chuck for my lathe just to do that. It wasn't too long after that I saw Ed's videos on YouTube and after a bit of researching found that there is always "more than one way to skin a cat". Thanks again.

LaVern