Endplates

If it has Pedals...
Skip Ellis

Endplates

Post by Skip Ellis »

Has anyone tried using bent steel endplates? I'm thinking 1/8" or 3/16" plate with the windows milled out then bent in a brake to shape. Weld a 1"x1" block in the corners for the legs and supports for the deck. Chrome or powdercoat the whole thing. Reasonable or am I missing something?
Bent

Re: Endplates

Post by Bent »

Skip, I haven't heard of anyone using bent steel. However, I believe that Mullen steels bend their aluminum end plates to shape. I would stick with aluminum because of the lower weight.

Some mfgrs cast their end plates. Interesting stuff that casting. Also a lot of them mill the end plates out of a solid piece of 2X4.
That's what I'll be doing now that I have my mill up and running. Can't wait to get started!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Hi Skip , i also thought of making some steel end plates and there is no reason why you cant only thing like Bent said it ll add weight , either paint them with a good epoxy type paint or like you said chrome plating which is expensive , Ive always felt its good to have alternetives to work with, some might like what you do some might not , i might give it a shot myself. Russ
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

powdercoat, like GFI,or any color..BF
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.