Making Cheapo fretboards

If it has Pedals...
Pat Comeau

Making Cheapo fretboards

Post by Pat Comeau »

I've made couple of samples fretboards with gloss printing photo paper (the thicker the better) , what i did was i scanned a sho-bud 24 inch scale in 2 pieces ...scanne the (top half and the bottom half), and then print it on two pieces(top and bottom) then you cut it with a good pair of scissors and taped it together underneath with scotch tape, i took me a few try before i had the right size cause you have to have an original to compare it with to make sure the frets all line up with the original, also you have to make a nice cut to make sure that where you cut it will line up with the other piece without being to noticable, i then spayed them with a few coats of lacquer , you can also put somekind of plexiglass on top and put a couple of screws if you want, i find this to be the cheapest way to make fretboards, i'm still experimenting with this and the results is very promising for me to make my own kind of fretboard design. :)
larry
Site Admin

Re: Making Cheapo fretboards

Post by larry »

Hi Pat,
Terrific idea! That really open's the door to all sorts of custom fretboard design!
Allan

Post by Allan »

That's a good process. You can also merge your scans into one and take the resulting drawing to a local jobbing printer so that it can all be done as a single print - no taping. Staples will be able to do it for you for example.

If you get the scan right in the first place you can chack the print scale right there in the store. you simply need to measure the print from nut to twelfth fret. That should come out to be exactly half of your scale length if all is well.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Can you tell which one is the print copy?... ;)
Fretboard 2.JPG
Fretboard 2.JPG (493.84 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
Bent

Post by Bent »

Damn nice work Pat. I wouldn't even hazard a guess. Sure you didnt touch it up in photoshop before posting? hehe just kidding. Great innovative idea!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Anders Eriksson

Post by Anders Eriksson »

I would guess the second one, but only since it seem like the paper has a curve....

// Anders
PELEKONA

Post by PELEKONA »

Hello Pat,
I have scanned fretboards several times,and covered them with perspex this works fine.
You can adjust the scale length of the scan by altering the percentage of your scanner.
All the best
PELEKONA.
bobby burns

Post by bobby burns »

I've done this and printed it on inkjet bumper sticker material. I'd like to know a source of clear tape material to laminate over them.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Hi Bobby, have a look in a local craft store for library film. That might do the job for you if you can find a good thick one. Check that it is what you want first as some brands can be pretty thin.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
PELEKONA

Post by PELEKONA »

Hello Bobby,
I have used a product from ALTREX ,originally designed to cover headlight glass for protection against stone chip's,it is a flexable clear plastic,and has a self sticking surface
adhesive (Scotch 3M).
So after scanning your fretboard, carefully place fretboard photo on adhesive and smooth out firmly.then attach the shiny new fretboard using screws .
My altrex kit was 2 sheets 550mmx200mm. No HO70
www.altrex.com.au .email: sales@altrex.com.au.
I have used this many times and it has done the job.
PELEKONA.