I AM SURPRISED

If it has Pedals...
gibson jimmy

I AM SURPRISED

Post by gibson jimmy »

I seems that no one can give any positive details of this system,a few have come up with their thoughts of who may have put this system in a ZB ,but know one seems to know for sure.It would be great to find out, sorry i can`t seem to uoload any pics on here for some reason but .There are pics on the SGF under ZB steels please help..

Jimmy.
mac639

Re: I AM SURPRISED

Post by mac639 »

What system are you talking about

Cheers,
Mac
gibson jimmy

Post by gibson jimmy »

ebay sales 013.jpg
ebay sales 013.jpg (177.97 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
PIC.

Jimmy.
gibson jimmy

Post by gibson jimmy »

PIC OF THE ZB,
Attachments
ebay sales 005.jpg
ebay sales 005.jpg (228.13 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
ebay sales 009.jpg
ebay sales 009.jpg (265.9 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Looks like a pretty regular all/pull system to me, except that most of the bellcranks pull from underneath as opposed to being on top. The LKL and the RKL pull from on top but that's to be expected when they're going that direction. What's on the end, does it have regular tuning nuts?
Mac
gibson jimmy

Post by gibson jimmy »

Hi Mac,i don`t think you understood what i meant,this system is on my ZB,if you are not sure what a normal ZB looks like underneath then you will not understand what i am trying to find out,but thanks for your reply.

Jimmy.
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Sorry Jimmy, I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a question if you don't mind....

It looks like those bell cranks might be adjustable for length. Is there a set screw or something on the little block that's mounted to the bell crank post to allow for setting the length?

thanks in adavance,
Ross
Bent

Post by Bent »

Hi Jimmy,
I think the reason we are not getting what you are saying is that you are not explaining it fully enough. When you are asking for "positive details of the ZB system" do you mean the changer? do you mean the cross shafts and rods& bell cranks?
I think you are after the pulling system so here goes:

Take a look at the underside of the ZB in this picture: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1317810
We can see the three flat bars that are connected to the three pedals. These flat bars are hinged in the opposite end from the pedal crank. When the pedal is pushed, the pedal crank pushes on the flat bar and causes it to swing sideways. This sideways swing in turn pulls on the rods attached to it, which again pull on the changer fingers.

We see that the knee levers turn regular round cross rods. What separates the ZB from the rest is the fact that the right-moving knee levers don't have a reversing mechanism. Zane Beck resolved this problem by simply raising the cross rod so that the bell crank could be mounted on the underside of the cross rod and there's your reverse movement.

This can only be an introductory explanation served up by an amateur. Any more in-depth info could be had by contacting Bob Adams in Scotland on this site:
http://www.pedalsteel.co.uk/ He restores ZB and other makes with a very loving hand. A true craftsman.

I hope this gets you started in your quest for knowledge about the fine ZB guitars.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
gibson jimmy

Post by gibson jimmy »

Hi Bent,just to make things a little clearer, i have been playing steel for over 40 years and in that time i have owned quite a few ZB`s,and i do know what they look like underneath, but this is the first time i have seen a ZB with this system,that is why i ask if anyone knows ,when it was used instead of the normal system.

Thanks Jimmy.
gibson jimmy

Post by gibson jimmy »

Ros,yes the b/crank pull pin dose move up and down on the shaft,very easy to get the right pull,and there is a locking screw to keep it in place..

JIMMY.