Legs

If it has Pedals...
azureskys

Legs

Post by azureskys »

Here is some pic s of legs that i make , the ends can also be threaded with a 1/2 inch or maybe 5/8 rod to screw in or as seen here slipped into a round hole and a set screw put in place, ill post a pic with the end threaded , if its in wood i add an aluminum sleeve inside the wood which will minimize wear and can always be replaced if needed. On them bottom i created a nice design for looks then ill polish the whole thing and maybe spray on a good tough epoxy coating . The bottom could also be threaded for adjusting hight but thats not what im doing on this one , Thanks for looking and comments are welcome . Russ
Attachments
steel guitar legs 001.JPG
steel guitar legs 001.JPG (172.52 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
steel guitar legs 002.JPG
steel guitar legs 002.JPG (174.62 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
steel guitar legs 004.JPG
steel guitar legs 004.JPG (173.17 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
BillyJ

Re: Legs

Post by BillyJ »

Hey they look good. Do you make mounting plates for these legs too? I was thinking of using 4 legs with 7 degree angle on my future non pedal single neck build

Cheers
Billy
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hi Russ.
Man you got great legs!! (That's pretty scary to say eh) You start out with aluminum pipe right. What's the outside diameter.. is it 3/4" maybe. Then you turn the bottom an top pieces to fit inside the pipe. Is that stuff like 3/4" aluminum rod that you turn down to fit inside the pipe? Looks like in the top end picture that the inserted piece inside then the pipe is crimped near the end to hold it in place. I've often thought of doing something like that. I have a heavy duty exhaust pipe cutter that I thought if I changed the cutting wheel for something a little more blunt it would create a real circular indentation in the pipe(without cutting it) and force that indentation right into the rod inside. You could do it in a couple of places. I wonder if that would work? I don't get what you mean by the "wood". If you turned down the top end inserted piece to accept a 1/2" die and threaded it I wonder if the soft aluminum would stand up very long being screwd in and out frequently. I've never been able to find around here suitable taps and dies with really coarse threads like water hose fittings have. Even if I found them, I probably couldn't afford them anyway.
Thanks for sharing your ideas with us. They sure look great!
Mac
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Russ, nice looking legs :o , what would be your final cost for a set of 4 finished legs?, i'm curious to know cause i've done some searching about making my own and as of now i can't seem to find round aluminum or stainless tube that would be cheaper to do compared to buying them from Don B at BSG Steel Guitars, the only way i'm thinking would be cheaper is to buy steel tube and have them chrome plated...but i haven't checked how they charge for doing chroming yet:oops: .
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Pat chrome plateing is expensive , the aluminum on these legs can be polished and will work very well.Mac the legs are made from 1inch tubing and i turned the enserts down to fit inside the tubing, all of the aluminum is aircraft type aluminum i dont crimp the tubing i use a super industrial grade glue that will hold permenatly tried and true .Oh and the ladies think i got nice legs too ha ha ha , thanks for looking and commenting . Russ
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Mac if you do threaded legs i put in a steel threaded rod rather than aluminum threaded rod, what i ment about wood was if the legs are going into wood you ll need a metal ensert to slip the legs in with a set screw.Billyj 10 degrees is a better angle for the legs you ll be more stable rather than 7 degrees, just something to consider .we all do things different ways and i thought this might help someone in making legs. thanks again . Russ
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Here is a couple legs that are threaded. Russ
Attachments
legs again 001.JPG
legs again 001.JPG (174 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Pat those legs can be made for about 10 to 15 $ each ( material that is) however you need a lathe and you ll have to do the work to make them or have someone make them for you which cost money , Ive sold a set of 4 for 100.00 either the screw on type or the enserted kind , if you could do it yourself you d probly get by for around maybe 50.00 for a set of 4 maybe less all depends on what material cost you. You ll need 1inch tubing , 1inch aluminum bar stock, 1/2 in threaded rod, a tap to make threads a bit slightly smaller then 1/2 inch and a bit of imagination , you could even use your new welder now to weld the enserts on , and on the bottom of the legs you could make it adjustable , make sure you get the 60 series tubing as its aircraft quility or better . Russ