some parts

If it has Pedals...
Bent

Re: some parts

Post by Bent »

Russ, no, I used 3/4" diameter on the previous ones. The string rings on forever and with no buzz in the jig. But that's only one string - the G# .011.

I do see your point. I envision a HUGE diameter like 3" and I can see what you're saying. Like you say, it is a balancing act. You got me thinking now...
I'll keep plugging away.
Another problem I have always seen with the traditional finger...The string lays on it with only one contact point - the bottom of the string.
I have been told by an engineer that the ideal amount of contact points for a string, in order to maximize sustain, is two. In other words, a V-groove is needed, where the string contacts the finger on both sides and not the bottom. If this is the case, then there is a huge need for re-designing the whole finger.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Re: some parts

Post by azureskys »

Bent just off the top of my head if i remember right the rollers are .180 wide and right at .500 dia as far a guageing i just cut a slight groove in there to kinda cradle the string, ive seen bigger rollers on steel s and smaller , one day ill settle for a fixed size, ha something else too im not really convinced they are needed on a steel pedel or not , look at a reg guitar with a wammy bar they work fine and they get a lot more string movement than a pedel steel ever will , lots of pushing and pulling there ya know . hope you get that mill running soon bent , your going to love doing things with it.Oh before i forget the rollers on my old MSA, the grooves are all the same size, i cant see any difference in depth or width and there is no buzz anywhere on it. Russ