Safety

If it has Pedals...
azureskys

Safety

Post by azureskys »

I think this is important in our work shops and it should be talked about at least for a reminder of our own personal safety and others.Saw blades dont care what they cut , grinding wheels dont care where they throw sparks and metal doesnt care where it flys, the decerning reader will get the jest of what im saying here.My own stupid mistakes consist of dropping a 6 cylinder crankshaft on a finger , smashed it pretty bad too , A small chip of grinding wheel in my eye, should of had my glasses on , lost about half inch or so of a finger on a jointer planner ha should have used a push board , cut a quarter of an inch of another finger almost off , caught it just in time, i wasnt watching close enough . i know these are small things but still if i had been more careful these would not have happened . Id like everyone to give safety some serious thought, thanks for reading . Russ
Attachments
finger lost 001.JPG
finger lost 001.JPG (171.88 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
BillyJ

Re: Safety

Post by BillyJ »

I totally agree with you Russ. I have had jobs over the years where I had to use different kinds of machines and I always worried about loosing a finger or two. I may not be the greatest guitarist but my worry about losing fingers always made me extra careful. Some people would say I am too careful with safety issues. However, I still have all my fingers.
Bent

Post by Bent »

This is a great thread that should be read by the entire membership. I won't bother telling you about the 2 doozies I had at work a few years ago.
Enough said when I state that an accident is always the result of human failure of some kind. Both times were due to my own stupidity.
Get into good habits of making sure switches are locked in the off position, tools are unplugged, guards are in place and working.
Another often overlooked safety item is hearing protection. Many power tools require that. Today I suffer from some tinnitus (ringing in the ears) because I wasn't diligent enough with the ear muffs at work.
Be careful my friends.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Actually, this safety thing is so important that I believe we would benefit by having a separate department entirely devoted to "Safety Issues" where we would share safety items and concerns as they come up. It might be your finger we would save.
How about it Admin. Larry?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Most of the people that build pedal steels also play them. You need all your fingers.....and it's so easy to be lax when working in your shop with power tools. You don't even need to be working with power tools to get hurt. I was pounding a 2" sprocket off a shaft one time in the vise. One in a million chance it flew off straight up and landed flat side up right on my eye. Instant black eye. I also don't really need a pick on my right middle finger anymore after dropping a sheet of drywall edge down right on the first joint.
Safety glasses are my greatest tool though.
Have a nice Labour Day guys!
BillyJ

Post by BillyJ »

I found out (again) this morning, that you can get hurt in workshops without operating machinery. I walked into my workshop bare footed to get a pencil off my work bench. I bumped the bench and my 1 metre straight edge rule, fell off the bench and came down on its side, landing straight across the big toe of my right foot. Cut into it a fair bit. So another tip is "always wear appropriate footwear in workshops"

:lol: