figured maple

If it has Pedals...
azureskys

figured maple

Post by azureskys »

I just got a couple maple boards for a new project , darn wood is expensive im thinking about eating the sawdust , these couple pieces have some nice figure to them ive used alot of nice oak and cherry with figure but i guess maple is the choice wood especially when its figured like these boards for a pedel steel.I made a violin with maple and walnut once and it was beautiful, i was thinking of using some walnut with this project also the contrast is very pretty . whats your favorite wood for a pedel steel ?
Attachments
wood 002.JPG
wood 002.JPG (170.2 KiB) Viewed 865 times
Bent

Re: figured maple

Post by Bent »

Beautiful, beautiful wood, Russ. That curly maple will take nicely to the stain. It will reward you by throwing out the figure at ya when you get it all stained and lacquered. What better way to utilize a tree that has been harvested than to make a great looking musical instrument that stands on a stage so all can feast their eyes on its beauty! Is it any wonder that I prefer natural wood to mica covered wood?

I have some pieces of walnut here. I also have hard maple. I was going to make a body with the deck in hard maple, clear, and then the walnut for the neck and aprons. That might look ok huh?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.