new bellcrank design

If it has Pedals...
Ryan Barwin

new bellcrank design

Post by Ryan Barwin »

I was thinking, it would be cool to have 10 single-blade bellcranks welded (or J-B welded) onto each cross shaft. It would be totally solid, probably just as light as other designs, no screws to deal with, and no need to move bellcranks or add them to change the setup. Something like this, on every cross shaft:
CCI00000.jpg
CCI00000.jpg (63.11 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
What do you think of this idea? And why hasn't it been done?
Pat Comeau

Re: new bellcrank design

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Ryan,

the first problem i see with this idea is that it would add alot of weight to the guitar and also it would probably be hard to align the rods by having all those bellcranks on every cross shaft, it is already hard to align the rods as it is, on my last build i had to bypass some bellcranks by bending the rod cause it became to crowded and tight on some of them, it also depends on the design also.JMO
sheffield steel

Post by sheffield steel »

Hi Ryan,

Pat is spot on the money with his reply, depending on the design you WILL get some of the the pull rods binding or clashing with the bell cranks/pull bars, do try if possible, not to have bent or crancked pull rods as they may flex slightly thus causing tuning problems. I do like the way that you are thinking though, but keep it simple!

Best wishes,

Dave. :)
Last edited by sheffield steel on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
Bent

Post by Bent »

Ryan, I, too, like your thinking. It speaks of an open mind. Keep up the good work.
I see your idea as an offshoot of the old Sho-Bud rack and barrel system, where each pedal/lever had its own little metal "rack" with 10 holes, one for each string and thereby providing endless possibilities for setups. This system was of course abandoned for favor of the modern all-pull with bell cranks.

This system is clever enough to facilitate easy copedent changes, especially if you have access to the shafts in the back apron of your guitar. Then you have both easy shaft change as well as bell crank change available.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.