How to make bellcranks?

If it has Pedals...
Allan

Re: How to make bellcranks?

Post by Allan »

Ah! Thanks Mac. The light just came on. I didn't realize that the same bolt did double duty.
Mighty fine system.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
burt

Post by burt »

Zane Beck (ZB) used a similar idea, except that the cross-shaft was tapped and the bolt screwed directly into the cross-shaft.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Also, as I think I told Mac earlier, it is a similar idea to the Blanton bell crank. Jerry just takes things one step further and tunes the pedals right there on the screw. It has stood the test of time.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

you need a 4 jaw chuck to round off the square shafts a three jaw wont work Mac.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Yes, you're right on the 4 jaw chuck. No matter, think I'll stick with the round shafts anyway, and grind flats along them. Works for me.
Thanks,
Mac
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

You can do it in a three jaw chuck, see my post here..Bill

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=329
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

here is how I used a 3 jaw chuck to turn square shafts.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=99
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Scott,
been a long while since we've spoked, how is your health these days? :roll: ...hope you're doin' better my friend :) , Scott... i don't see any descriptions or explainations of a 3 jaw rounding square shaft in the link you posted...can you explain it in detail if you don't mind :oops: ,thanks, i think i do understand Bill's idea and tool he is showing in is drawing and i'm going do give a try when i start on my #4 build cause i just bought some 3/8" square aluminum .

Pat C. :)
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Pat

I will get a picture up tomorrow after I get back from the doctors.
Scott
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Pat

I never made it to the shop today , but here is a explanation of it. As usual I seem to buy the wrong tool because I don't know what I am doing. I bought a collet and was thinking it would work properly with my small lathe. However it wouldn't so I modified it and simply chuck it up in the 3 jaw chuck of the lathe. I then use a simple hose clamp to tighten the collect down on the square shaft. It fits pretty snug anyway and I know this is not the proper way to do it , but has worked for several rods that I have done in the past.

Scott