First attempt to make endplates

If it has Pedals...
Pat Comeau

First attempt to make endplates

Post by Pat Comeau »

here's some endplates i'm making for my next projects, it took me 2 days to grind, file ect... to the stage you're seeing and it's still needs alot of sanding before buffing :( , it's a heck of a job doing it this way, it was welded with an arc welder with aluminum rods, i've buffed it a little to see how it would look and you can see the different color type of aluminum from where the welding was done from the rest, you really have to look close to see the difference :( , i don't know yet if i'm gonna use them or not i guess i'll have to wait until the're all buffed out, if i don't put them on my next guitars i'll use them as temporary endplates. :)

Before
Attachments
rawplate.jpg
rawplate.jpg (77.14 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
rawplate2.jpg
rawplate2.jpg (56.3 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
Pat Comeau

Re: First attempt to make endplates

Post by Pat Comeau »

After 2 days of sanding grinding filing ect...oofff.............. :roll:
Attachments
rawplate4.jpg
rawplate4.jpg (65.46 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
rawplate3.jpg
rawplate3.jpg (62.63 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
burt

Post by burt »

Pat,
I've got my toolmakers hat on.

Before you spend a lot of time buffing the endplates, drill and tap the leg sockets.

If you make a hash of drilling and tapping (which can easily happen :oops: ) then you won't have wasted any time finishing the item, and can start over without too much time invested
Bent

Post by Bent »

Pat, that is a courageous first attempt. My hat goes off to you!
I strongly recommend that if you decide to weld them together(instead of machining out of 2X4" stock) invest the money and get them TIG welded. When welded, the seam is invisible. Also, you have no spatter plus the weld itself is way neater, slimmer, stronger and prettier with lots less cleanup.
I have to ask what are the 2 vertical welds on the face? Normally you cut 3 pieces; one front and the 2 sides for welding. V out the corners so you fill with weld and then grind/sand/polish to an invisible finish. There should be some pics on my photobucket site.
One disadvantage with welding is that it is near impossible to avoid warping from the heat. They shrink when cooling. Make them about 1/16" over length.

I have a welder here. He's as good as they come. He can weld two coke cans together.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

burt wrote:Pat,
I've got my toolmakers hat on.

Before you spend a lot of time buffing the endplates, drill and tap the leg sockets.

If you make a hash of drilling and tapping (which can easily happen :oops: ) then you won't have wasted any time finishing the item, and can start over without too much time invested
Thanks Richard, i was thinking the same before the buffing and final sanding. ;)

Bent wrote=
I have to ask what are the 2 vertical welds on the face? Normally you cut 3 pieces; one front and the 2 sides for welding. V out the corners so you fill with weld and then grind/sand/polish to an invisible finish.
Bent,
it is because i've used a 3" angle and cut it that way but...i think the other way like you said is much better to do ,with less effort to grind ect..., if i do some more welded endplates i will do it the other way like you did with yours, i'm looking to buy a mig welder 220V with a spool gun for welding aluminum...this is something i really need around the house and not only for building PSG, i will post pics of the endplates when i'm done with them.
Bent

Post by Bent »

PAt, MIG is so so for aluminum. TIG is by far the best.
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Bent wrote:PAt, MIG is so so for aluminum. TIG is by far the best.
and by far the most expensive like $2000 to $5000 for something good, compared to about 800$ to 1500$ for a good mig. ;)
Bent

Post by Bent »

That's true. But that is where a welder with TIG comes in. He can weld up a set of endplates in an hour..at $50 an hour. That would be the best and cheapest way to go.