My pedal steel prototype project

If it has Pedals...
mac639

My pedal steel prototype project

Post by mac639 »

Some of you might have been wondering what ever happened to my great new steel idea I was working on this past winter. The one with the changer sort of like the PS210. Well I had to abandon the idea for the time being. I was actually playing on the guitar, but the pedal action sucked. Way too hard for my liking. So I ripped it all apart and am rebuilding with just a pull-release changer. I've got some fresh ideas on that new changer idea but will have to build a new cabinet to accomodate it.

On the subject of pull-release changers. I harken back to the first guitar I built in the 60's. It was a simple pull-release (D10) and I played that thing all over Canada and the western US for 30 years. It hardly ever went out of tune....joke in the band, I tweaked the tuning each year on my birthday.

Any of you got any ideas on improving the old single piece pull-release changers? To me they work great except for a couple of nasties. Like you can't have a split, and the slop required to accomodate both a raise and a lower on the same string. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with this, the simplest and most foolproof design out there.
LushPyle

Re: My pedal steel prototype project

Post by LushPyle »

I while back I posted an idea for removing the slack from a Push Pull design on the steel guitar forum. I think you could probably do something similar with a pull release..... see what you think
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
scroll down towards the bottom of the page (#4 from the bottom)
As you can see you end up with a very unusual "push-push" scenario. I agree with you pull-release by the way. The good, the bad and the ugly.