i have a couple of questions for ya ll

If it has Pedals...
azureskys

i have a couple of questions for ya ll

Post by azureskys »

Has anyone ever built a pedel steel using the gluck methed and whats your opinion of it? I looks good to me , Would you change it why and where ? thanks :D
Bent

Re: i have a couple of questions for ya ll

Post by Bent »

I wouldn't even waste my time on that method. It is a very basic way of building a pedal steel. The changer is the "pull-release" type, a system that has its limitations. Sure, there are entry level steels with pull release made today and they work good. Using the gluck method you'll end up with a "kit type" looking guitar IMO. It's not only the changer. The whole build looks entry level. I believe if you are going to build a steel from scratch, you have enough mechanical knowledge or can acquire that knowledge right here on the builders forum for free, to see it to completion. So you may as well go with a more pro looking guitar in my opinion.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

I have bought the CD plan V2 and V3 and it helped me alot in my first build and also for my current build, i think the people who don't like the plans didn't read and viewed the whole CD step by step correctly, the're are different ways to view the CD and it's got everything to build a professional steel guitar like a MSA type :) :) , it also has conventional method which i liked very much also :P ,

Bent said=
It is a very basic way of building a pedal steel. The changer is the "pull-release" type, a system that has its limitations
Bent...the'res 3 different changer in CD V2 and 4 changer in CD V3, 1 pull release and 3 all pull, and it also has a same type changer has the one you build for your last project steel, i have a all pull in my first build that is working just fine, if you have the tools and the will you can build a nice guitar out of that CD, i'm not really impress with the home build steel guitar showing in the CD and i think the man had some knowledge but he's not that good as a craftsman :oops: , like i said...it helped me alot understanding how a pedal steel worked cause i had never saw one close or had any knowledge except for my old Maverick and now 2 years later i'm finishing my 2nd steel and building all my parts myself :P and will start on my 3rd steel project soon and looking to build a 4th by the end of the year if everything goes well, gee.. i might buy Fulawka Steel Guitar company... :) i talked to Eddy today and he'd like to sell it to me and i told him sure i'll buy it..........if i win the 6/49 lottery :lol:, you have to browse the CD and look at all the plans and play it interactly to be able to view everything that is on the CD, now that i have more knowledge and understanding i can make parts that is alot better than the ones on the CD but for a starter it's a good CD for beginners, atleast the'res a building CD out there for beginners ;) .

Pat C.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Pat, Eddie asks everybody to buy his 'company'. He asks me every time I see him. That's just Ed. More on that later if you wish.

well, Pat, I don;t know really how versatile it is that CD. You see, I have made attempts to view it and it locks up so it really was worthless to me.
As for a basic intro for the stark beginner - sure, but it and see. BUT like I said, you get the same into to steel building right here for the asking so why by a 30$ Cd when you can get the same, and mostly a lot better right her eon this forum?
Maybe in your first days, sure. But today? NO, not with what we have going here.
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

I bought an earlier version of this CD and consider it a waste of time and money. Yes, I did learn a bit about the basic workings of a pedal steel. However, there is more info in that aspect on the Carter site and many others. The pictures of the completed steel(s) on the CD were not inspiring at all. The CD was badly laid out and made no logical sense. I had to hunt through it to allow the information to come together. As I said, that was an earlier version and I have no idea how things have improved but I will say that Cactus publishing did NOT impress me and I will not be buying from them again. If you are a member over at the Steel Guitar Forum you could do a search there for opinions on this material. Try searching under 'Gluck', under 'Cactus Publishing' and under 'build your own steel CD ebay'. You can try anything else you think of also. The search system on the bb software is not the best so you may have to look pretty hard but you will find a lot of opinions once you get into some of the threads there.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Well i did get an answer from that ha ha thanks ,isnt there a man in canada somewhere that sells a book on building a pedel steel? well im here to learn as much as i can about the pedel steel , i know a little so im asking questions for more . i can do lathe work as well as milling , ill get some pics and post them on what im working on . thanks Bent and Pat for your comments .. Russ
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Here is a few pic of things please be kind im learning lol
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

the wood key head is an idea i got from Pat i copied the show bud style and the roller nut ill use on this
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

i hope someone finds this enteresting im not out to conquer the world , just build and enjoy thats all :D
Bent

Post by Bent »

Russ, you're a smart man, you copied Pat's idea for the wood neck and keyhead. Pat has proven that his guitar certainly is a workable machine at the same time as it is pretty. That is one way of doing things.
Another way is what I did by applying ordinary woodworking tools in the making of 2 steel guitars last summer. I had the keyheads made on a mill. The rest, like bell cranks, I made on my table saw.
When you take a look at my photos here http://photobucket.com/Bent-SteelProject2 you will see how I cut the fingers on the band saw and ground them to shape on the disk sander.

The birdseye guitar is now in England, being played by Dave Seddon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uk3t9P8GH8

There are instructions elsewhere on this forum where I show how to make bell cranks on the table saw. I am not trying to brag myself up here. I am merely trying to show how we can learn most everything we need to right here on this site...for free, and with participation from many able builders, not just one man and one CD
If there is anything unclear on my pics, by all means ask questions.

Did you make that 3 raise/2 lower finger assembly? Very good work!