Need Some Measurements

If it has Pedals...
Eldon

Need Some Measurements

Post by Eldon »

Please -- if someone could post the following info.

Space between strings and Pickup:

Height between your knees (not the knee levers) and the bottom of the guitar body:
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Bent

Re: Need Some Measurements

Post by Bent »

Eldon, the space from pickup to strings varies so much that there really is no set rule.
The starting point is the thickness of a 50 cent piece when the magnets are exposed, and a quarter when they ate covered with plastic. These are just very rough guidelines really. In fact I am leery of that close a distance, because the magnetism can affect the strings in a bad way, they can actually stop the vibration and thereby impede the sustain. One guy I know, has his pickup no closer than 3/16". So the best way is to use the 50 cent piece as a starting point and 'dial' in your own preference. Just be sure to make the pup adjustable enough.

The height of the guitar...this is normally measured from the lower edge of the apron, straight down to the floor, which is 25 1/4". This is with "regular height" legs which are 26" long(plus the threaded stud). "Over-height" is usually 2" higher. So 2 sizes are supposed to fit everybody. I am 5' 10" and 'normal height' is ideal for me.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Thanks Bent that's all I need. If all goes well I probably need another 12 hours to finnish my steel. Then I can spend the rest of my life learning to play it. I think I'm going to turn one of my acordions into a midi box next winter - that I can play..............
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Bent

Post by Bent »

Eldon wrote:that I can play..............
That you can fer sure. I have the proof in my CD player :-)
Good luck with the completion. Can't wait to see the pics!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hi could you tell me what is "PUP"
Thank you RdGs Paul
Allan

Post by Allan »

Paul Higgins wrote:Hi could you tell me what is "PUP"
Thank you RdGs Paul
Hi Paul, it is just a short-form word for PickUP...

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Allan wrote:
Paul Higgins wrote:Hi could you tell me what is "PUP"
Thank you RdGs Paul
Hi Paul, it is just a short-form word for PickUP...

Allan.....
Thank you Allan
Thank for taking the time
Regards Paul