Pedal Steel Guitar ( Project #2 )

If it has Pedals...
mac639

Re: Pedal Steel Guitar ( Project #2 )

Post by mac639 »

What a great idea.....how come I never knew that!
If you're still going with the posts, what do you use for the string posts? I've always used short pieces of bicycle spoke for all my guitars. One spoke is easily enough for a guitar and costs almost nothing. You have to get one that the ball end fits over as all spokes are not the same diameter.
12string

Post by 12string »

Mac

I use the small masonary nails from cable clips, for the string posts. the ones 2mm in diameter, they are very hard,
p2667786_s.jpg
p2667786_s.jpg (893 Bytes) Viewed 1262 times
Stuart
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Here's some pics of my modified changer, i redone the lower fingers and put some rollers and also changed the top fingers with slots for the strings instead of going through it, the other type of top fingers with the strings through it worked great also but was a pain when taking the changer out ... i had to completly take all the strings out of the keyhead, once i'm sure my changer type will work the way i want it too...i will probably make the top finger strings through for my next build. :)
Attachments
May 20th 2010 002.jpg
May 20th 2010 002.jpg (73.01 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
May 20th 2010 006.jpg
May 20th 2010 006.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Bent

Post by Bent »

Lookin damn good Pat. I see you have the raise bar going up and on the axle. Good. I think that's the best way myself for these kinds of changers. Anybody...are there any disadvantages to this way? I read something once..don't expect as much travel from a lower bar like that. I'll have to see that it believe it.
I see advantages...like one less rivet to start with, one less joint to make play and slack.

Pat, What type of rivet did you use in the raise/lower bars? Looks like a screw? Chicago screw maybe? What type and thickness material did you make the raise/lower bars from? How did you cut them out?
Nice to see you used a bearing. Ball bearing type that's sealed?
All this is interesting stuff for us all to learn and should be mandatory for the builder to list lol! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Lookin' good Pat. Bent, what do you mean, One less rivet? Also where can one find really small ball bearings like that? Also.....all I ever see are aluminum Chicago screws and they are usually too long to work in this application. We all have lots of questions, right!!
Mac
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Bent, :)

i tapped both fingers and used #6 screws with a washer for the raise and lower bar and smash the screws on the other side just enough not to be to tight so it doesn't unscrews and that the fingers still pivot free, those are not ball bearings...they are aluminum bearings i made out of a 3/8 aluminum round bar ...i drilled the holes a little bigger than #6 and used #6 screws and tapped the fingers and grinded the screws head flush and the screws end flush, i don't know if you can see it on the picture but i bent the tip where the bearing is screwed so it doesn't rub against the raise fingers...it works the same as ball bearing turning free on the screws and it really looks like ball bearing from 3 feet away lol, material i used to make the fingers is galvanize steel plates for light box and you can buy them at almost any hardware stores for about $1.60 each and i can make 3 lower finger out of one plate, for the raise fingers i used a bigger size galvanize steel plate $2.69 each and i get 3 raise out of them, i used my bench grinder with cutting and grinding wheels and also the beltsander and palm sander...it's alot of work but worth it, you need to have a bucket of water next to you and dip it in often for cooling the metal cause it doesn't take much grinding for the metal to get real hot. :(
Last edited by Pat Comeau on Thu May 20, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bent

Post by Bent »

mac639 wrote:Lookin' good Pat. Bent, what do you mean, One less rivet? Also where can one find really small ball bearings like that? Also.....all I ever see are aluminum Chicago screws and they are usually too long to work in this application. We all have lots of questions, right!!
Mac
Mac I get my bearings at CBS Equipment here in London. They are called R-2. They are 3/8" OD, 1/8" ID
$4.36 plus tax a piece. Pricey but worth it, the way I see it.
I'm sure Pat's idea works too. Anything is better than that little thin piece of steel rubbing on the finger.
Mac, I mean with the raise finger going all the way up to and pivoting on the changer axle, there is no need for a rivet to fasten it to the finger like I did here:
fingersMar25sized.jpg
fingersMar25sized.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

The screws are #6-32 and not #8 :oops: :?

Pat C. :)
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Bent...on your changer you also need another spring for the raise...am i correct?. :roll:
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Looking really nice pat, i like that bearing idea less wear and friction there,is the round part on top stainless?