Pedal Steel Guitar ( Project #2 )

If it has Pedals...
Allan

Re: Pedal Steel Guitar ( Project #2 )

Post by Allan »

Hi Pat,
If you get the stain on nice and even it will look good and as far as the shine goes, yes, that can look OK too. You would have to buff it up after the stain dries completely. I tend to let the stain dry for a few days before re-polishing then I let the polish dry out completely too and then a good 'dry' buffing brings it all up nicely. The only secret is having the leather good and flat before you start the staining. That is done by soaking it for about 15 / 20 minutes and then laying it out on a flat surface for a while till it is completely dry. I am not in any kind of hurry when I do this sort of work and I tend to lay the leather out and leave it for a couple of days to dry, although, an hour or two would probably be enough at that stage.
I don't know how much leather work you have done but I guess you need to know that these pieces are quite thick and, particularly the red piece, would need to be skived at the edges to form round the pad properly. They are both really nice pieces.

Anyhow, let me know. They are here if you decide you want them. You have made an awesome job of the guitar so you need to be completely happy with what you chose to use in the end.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Here's some pics with the pad installed, the color of the pad came out a little more red in the pictures...it is more a wine color. :)
Attachments
#2 build 1.JPG
#2 build 1.JPG (77.47 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
#2 build 2.JPG
#2 build 2.JPG (82.93 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Here's is the case i made for it, there's still the handles and wheels to put on...i'm looking for a special kind of leather and brass handles fo it. :P :) .
Attachments
#2 build case1.JPG
#2 build case1.JPG (77.46 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
#2 build case2.JPG
#2 build case2.JPG (79.81 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Looking good Pat, about the handle, if you can find a leather handle with the steel reinforce strip inside would be the way to go. Parts express has a good assortment of hardware, you might try them.

Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Speechless! Again... No, not again - still!
Pat, that looks as good as any pro-built steel I have ever seen. If it sounds half as good as it looks you have a world class instrument right there.
I don't know what other words to use - I am gob smacked.

Very well done indeed.
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

"gob smacked" Is that anything like flabbergasted?? If so, I agree..Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
Bent

Post by Bent »

yes, Guys, Pat has come a loooong way! The guitar looks every bit the pro type. Just look at the neatness of the pad. Did you really make that yourself. I tried, gave up and had an upholsterer do it.
The case looks every bit the pro job as the rest of the project. They'll be beating a path to your door my friend :-)
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Bent wrote:yes, Guys, Pat has come a loooong way! The guitar looks every bit the pro type. Just look at the neatness of the pad. Did you really make that yourself. I tried, gave up and had an upholsterer do it.
The case looks every bit the pro job as the rest of the project. They'll be beating a path to your door my friend :-)
Once again thanks guy's..., i've had a few years of trials and errors building speaker cabinets, effects racks and instruments cases and i think i got the hang of it now :P , yes Bent...i've made the pad, it's really easy to do when you know how, lol, you have to glue the foam on to the peice of wood before covering it that makes it easy to work afterwards, i use an old 2" mattress foam that i had hanging around and i cut and trimmed it with my ' FAVORITE TOOL' the bandsaw, lol , like i said...i still have to put handles,wheels and straps to hold the cover :) .

Allan said=
If it sounds half as good as it looks you have a world class instrument right there
i'll try to record a sample so you guy's can debate the sound :roll: , i know it sounds alot better and more sustain then my #1 build that's the only guitar i can compare it with, i would like to find a good steel player around here to try it but there aren't many good ones around :cry: ,i'll be playing at the bar here in a few weeks and i'll try to make a few videos also.
"gob smacked" Is that anything like flabbergasted?? If so, I agree..Bill
I'm not sure what those words means but...thanks Alllan and Bill :lol:

Pat C ;)
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Pat,
I was about to post about the ease of cutting foam with the bandsaw, but you beat me to it. I stumbled across the idea by rounding the corners on a piece of plywood that the foam was already glued, I figured I would have to trim the foam with whatever but it came out really smooth.

Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
Allan

Post by Allan »

Bill Ford wrote:"gob smacked" Is that anything like flabbergasted?? If so, I agree..Bill
Bill, it means that my flabber has never been so gasted..... :lol:
Only nuts eat squirrels.