Tunable Splits

If it has Pedals...
Scott Howard

Tunable Splits

Post by Scott Howard »

I am fixing to put a guitar back together so I can maybe practice a little and wondering about tunable splits . I am aware of the adding a rod method but that is not what I am wanting to do. I am working on a MSA classic and I know you can drill and tap the block at the end of the changer like in the photo. I am guessing it is located so the screw just hits the string finger . Any info or picture would be very helpful . I am probably going to drill and tap it but just not sure where the added screw needs to be located .

I though I would just ask here and try to avoid looking too dumb and getting blasted on other forums. :roll: I have only had one guitar that had tunable splits and it was so long ago I don't remember it too well.
Attachments
925_Changer__5th_string_split__1.jpg
925_Changer__5th_string_split__1.jpg (21.24 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
Bent

Re: Tunable Splits

Post by Bent »

Scott, I haven't tried my hand yet on those. Maybe too intimidating, since I don't know really how they work? I want to learn though so... guys, explanations and drawings are appreciated. What I can tell you Scott is, yes, the string finger hits the screw. I believe the lower is tuned on that screw.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Redwings

Post by Redwings »

This is directly from the Zum manual. Hope it helps.

Split Tuning Option

Guitars equipped with this option allow you to obtain a “combination or middle” note on strings that are raised a full tone and lowered a half tone, or vice-versa. The tuning procedure for each string that is affected is as follows:

1. Tune the string to its open-tuning pitch with the Tuning Keys as described in Basic Tuning.

2. Tune the “raise” note with the Nylon Nut as per the Basic Tuning procedure.

3. Engage both the “raise” and “lower” functions by pressing the proper pedal/knee lever
combination at the same time.

4. Tune the “resultant/middle” (split) note with the Nylon Nut that lowers the string, turning clockwise
to flatten it or counter-clockwise to sharpen it.

5. With only the single pedal/knee levers that lowers the string engaged, tune the full “lower” note
with the Set Screw in the end of the neck, right side, behind the Changer Finger for that string

n.b. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... ght=splits

nice diagrams about half way down the page. The top one uses the "set or socket cap screws"
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Yes that helps and Thanks very much . It does not tune like I remember but it looks like the set screw hitts where I thought. I am still looking for a good picture of the setscrew hitting the changer but it will have to hit the actual string finger in order to work . I can start setting it up in the mill and drill and tap the end piece now.

Thanks again , Scott