Pedal steel case ideas

If it has Pedals...
mac639

Pedal steel case ideas

Post by mac639 »

Hi folks...
I just recently sold one of my steels. I made this one in 2005 and have played it pretty often at home at at gigs. I had never made the case for it so just did. Before the guy picks it up I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the guitar and case thinking that maybe it'd give y'all an idea or two. Case weighs 23 lbs. and the guitar 30 lbs for a total of 53 lbs. Not too bad.
Cheers,
Mac
Attachments
case_640_03.jpg
case_640_03.jpg (83.17 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
case_640_02.jpg
case_640_02.jpg (78.43 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
case_640_01.jpg
case_640_01.jpg (84.83 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
Allan

Re: Pedal steel case ideas

Post by Allan »

WOW!
Very nice indeed. Is that brass on the case? I assume it is. What I really wanted to know is have you put lacquer or something in it? I have been wondering how to keep brass work looking as good as that but still to be rugged enough to use.
Great work Mac. If it hasn't gone yet could you possibly get some close up pics of the underside of the guitar - if you don't mind that is. Thanks for showing it.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Mac, lots of great ideas there! Would you care to list some or all of the materials used? The wood on the outside is it a laminate?
Where did you acquire the gold metal angles etc? The inside lining looks great. Where did you get it? I have seen stuff like that at Fabric Land.
I have been planning (agonizing actually) over how to build a steel case the best way...weight vs. strength)
Good work!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Nice job on the case. One thing I do that is a life saver to me . I bought a rifle case on ebay that is perfect for the legs and pedal bar. It even has wheels.

Having had back problems over half my life , when I bought my Williams crossover I had him get a 2 case setup made . To me it is worth it. It also works with all my guitars so I only needed one " Leg " case .

I like the idea of the other parts in the top . I just cant carry a complete guitar anymore.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

That is nice work there...looks good, the thing i would do different in my expirience with building all kinds of effects racks and case ect...is to put cabinet carpet for finish and go with 5/8
" or even 1/2" plywood for less weight, i've learn alot over 30 some years of playing on the road all over the country that carpet covering is the best way to go, some don't like it because it traps smells like smoke ect...but it's easy to overcome that with a little spray of febreeze , you need something that's rugged and scratch free and not to heavy and also carpets keeps the thing warmer to handle in the winter time, i've done some cases with 1/2" plywood that were very tough with some angle bracket as braises, and wheels never hurts also, :D lol, but of course this is only my opinion ;) .
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hi Bent...
Thanks for the kind words on my cases. No laminate. Solid 3/4" oak for the sides and ends glued and screwed together. Top and back are 1/4" oak plywood. The edging material I got from RONA. It's 3/4" brass plated steel angle. Comes in 8 foot lengths. Costs $11.97 + tax each and I needed 3 pieces. The rest of the stuff comes from Home Depot, Cdn. Tire etc. The edging I mitre at the corners and cover the joints with what they call chest corners. I used to use regular suspended ceiling wall angle material for edges and paint it but this stuff is way better but way more expensive too. The inside material is "fun fur" that can be gotten at most fabric shops. The oak I get from a local lumber cutter/dobro player. I also get maple from him and other stuff too at way better prices and quality than the retail outlets like Home Depot etc. With the expensive edging stuff the case cost me over $80.00 but looks really nice.

Allan...
I'm attaching some pics of the underside as requested. Mind you that guitar although it plays great and has ZERO cabinet drop...is not one of my best efforts as far as the mechanics go. I made the guitar for myself in 2005 and it's been torn apart a couple of times to change this and that. I only made provision for 5 lowers for instance as that's all I needed on E9th for my mediocre playing. As you'll notice it's a double changer guitar. Before I started on my "revolutionary" idea guitar it was the only type I made, and I still like that design the best. Anyway have a look...and thanks for the interest.
Mac
Attachments
cases_640_06.jpg
cases_640_06.jpg (82.71 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
cases_640_05.jpg
cases_640_05.jpg (82 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
cases_640_04.jpg
cases_640_04.jpg (83.34 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Pat...I hear you about the carpet covering. I've made cases and speaker boxes too covering it with indoor/outdoor carpet. It's great stuff and really tough. I just happen to like the looks of the oak, probably my guitars won't ever get thrown around by roadies as pro players most likely will never want one of my guitars anyway! :lol: Speaking of steels, I'm just wondering if in the end Al Brisco will be taking over the Carter company. If you read between the lines on the latest from Ann Fabian sort of sounds like it might come to be. I never get to see too many pedal steels around here, never seen a pro level Carter. I played a gig last fall in Quebec and there was another band there and the guy had a Carter Starter. I wasn't too impressed with it, kind of flimsy and the tone wasn't too great. Of course they're pretty inexpensive as steels go.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Mac,
It wouldbe nice if Al buys the company , i've dealt with Al many times ...i buy my steel strings, pics ect... from him, we need more steel guitar stores in Canada ;) .
Bent

Post by Bent »

Sounds like Al is taking over all the Carter parts and service, also selling the steels in stock now.
Al does have a wide variety of parts and extras related to steel.
Pat, you mention that there should be more steel stores in Canada. I agree, although it is unlikely to happen, given the low public interest for steel.
However, here is one in Alberta where I have received excellent service time and again http://www.countrypickin.com
Jeff Bradshaw is the name.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.