MSA Conversion #2 going Crossover

If it has Pedals...
Scott Howard

MSA Conversion #2 going Crossover

Post by Scott Howard »

I started adding the dual pedal changer to pedal 3 and it has gotten out of hand . I was not real happy with a few of the knee levers as far as location . So I thought this would be a good time to move them .

I have decided to add some more knee lever changers and have most of the rods out of it. Looking at 5 pedals and 5 knees all at one seating position. All 5 knees working both necks and 4 of them working only one neck at a time. The vertical will pull the standard C 6th and 5th string lower all the time.

Standard C 6th pedal 7 and 4 will be on the left knee and pedal 6 on the right knee. In the past I have played with these pedals on knee levers but I only had one on a knee. I can always change it later if I don't like it.

This still leaves one extra knee I want to add a E 9th chane on .
Scott Howard

Re: MSA Conversion #2 going Crossover

Post by Scott Howard »

I have 2 pedals done and I am not happy with the space they are taking up. I see what I can do to fix it but it is going to be more work. This guitar has a center support for the crossrods . This was eliminated on later newer MSA's . I guess I am going to pull this one out and make some notches in it so I can scoot these mini changers more to the middle of the guitar. It is a pain to get it back out but I think it will make it work out so much better.

Just now looking at it I see another way of doing something. Will post picture as soon as I get it made.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I have one crossover pedal mechanism on the guitar. I do have the lever that changes it removed . I am showing the shafts and the idea . I did remove the center brace as MSA did later on. I left a few inches because I needed it for the first few pedals.

I ended up splitting the crossrod the pedal hooks to and then making it hook back together. I will try and get the lever made today and then at least one will be finished .
Attachments
Mar01553.JPG
Mar01553.JPG (86.3 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Mar01552.JPG
Mar01552.JPG (99.64 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Mar01551.JPG
Mar01551.JPG (100.52 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Allan

Post by Allan »

That's scary looking stuff. What's your background Scott? Are you a mechanical engineer or something?

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I am going to make a pattern for the switching lever so they will all match. Here it is with the old lever . I am going to have to redesign my stop on one crossrod and the other one is not on yet but will still work as before .

I am undecided for now as to try and make one lever hooked to all the changers or just leave them as individual pull knobs.

Allan

I was a auto mechanic on Police cars for the City Of Chattanooga for 15 1/2 years. After that I was a self employed mechanic until my health has made it near impossible for me to work on cars for a living .
It seems I build something and almost immediatly see a different way to do it. I am trying to do my R & D on this guitar before I do my other one.

My neck and shoulders are giving me too much trouble for me to play right now so I went ahead and tore my guitar apart .
Attachments
Mar01557.JPG
Mar01557.JPG (100.39 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Mar01556.JPG
Mar01556.JPG (92.64 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Last edited by Scott Howard on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Scott, nice work on those parts :) , i've read somewhere in the SGF forum that someone mentioned that adding too much stuff on a steel guitar changes the tone overall like too many holes and screws in the wood cuts the sustain and tone little by little with every screws and holes :? , did you noticed any differences in your guitar with all those changes you've made to date? :roll:
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Pat

I will let you know when I get it back together . I have had guitars that I thought sounded good that had all kind of extra holes in them. I have had several double necks that ended up as a loafer and they were some of my favorites . I also have heard all kinds of things that change the sound of a guitar.

I lean to the idea that the biggest thing for tone is the hands of the player. I have sat down on days and could not get a good sound for nothing. :oops: Same guitar , same amp , same everything settings and all and it sound as good as I can sound on another day . What changed ? Had to be something I was doing . :lol:

My better days are behind me and I am just playing for enjoyment and something to keep me busy.