Yet another keyless thread...

If it has Pedals...
Allan

Yet another keyless thread...

Post by Allan »

It's 'show yer ignorance' time!

I was looking at the stuff I bought to build my changer for the steel I have in mind when I realized that some of the parts that I have from an older, previous attempt could easily become a keyless tuner. Now, looks-wise, I just plain don't like them, I am too old to change in that regard. But then, I like a car to look like it has a distinct 'hood, body, trunk' look to it too - this 'all the same, Japanese Jello-mold' look of recent years makes me cringe. However, I have read a lot about the advantage of going keyless so...
Here are my questions.
1) How are the strings anchored to the tuner?
2) How do you get initial tension before applying that anchoring effect?

There will be more questions, oh yeah, there will be more.

Thanks, and regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Scott Howard

Re: Yet another keyless thread...

Post by Scott Howard »

I am a total fan of keyless and I can understand that you like what is more of a normal look. There are a ton of advantages but I will try and answer your questions for now.

After the old string has been removed return the string holder to the backed out location as close as possible to the roller nut. just start the string in the other end as normal pull the string snug by hand and tighten the allen head screw or whatever type screw hols it. Most of mine are held by allen head screws as it just goes under the head of the screw and tighten down the screw. A neat feature is that a couple of wiggles after the screw is tightened and the unused end will just break off clean as can be.

I have heard that a few designs such as Sierra had a problem in that if you did not pull the string tight enough to start with you may have a problem getting it to pitch because the finger would hit the body or the screw was not long enough . I thick this was there early ones and they have since fixed that. With all of mine , I don't see it being a problem. See Picture of Sierra.

I did have this problem on a Bela tuner one time and could have fixed it , but I was only trying it and did not want to cut the body on my push pull Emmons. I later put the original keyhead back on so I could sell it.

Here is a picture that may clear up some things and show how much travel is needed to get the string to pitch. This is the E 9th neck . Ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

I like my newest tuner best and it pulls straight down .
Attachments
5473_Sierra_1.jpg
5473_Sierra_1.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Feb08516.JPG
Feb08516.JPG (112.59 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Allan

Re: Yet another keyless thread...

Post by Allan »

Thanks Scott. With your experience of 'keyless' I am sure that trapping the string under the bolt head is just fine. Well, obviously it is if that is how they all do it! I guess it is my old fashioned attitude, I still have reservations at the back of my mind. I see it work and I wonder if it is going to work! Damn, I am so old! (old fashioned that is) LOL

Thanks again Scott, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!