My 12 string prototype....in progress

If it has Pedals...
mac639

Re: My 12 string prototype....in progress

Post by mac639 »

I'm hoping to be playing on this guitar by the end of this weekend. I only put two knee levers on it for now, and spent the extra time available making the foot pedals and other associated stuff. Still got to wind the pickup and make the fretboard. I had a lot of problems getting my "collapsible legs" to be solid enough but seem to have solved it now.

Y'all know I'm a real cheapie guy. Legs have always been a problem. I was at Home Depot yesterday to get some stuff for the garden hose....and I got to thinkin', you know those brass couplings and hose end pieces. They've got nice threaded parts....seems to me with some fiddling around they would make first class ends for steel guitar legs. You'd just have to fit the end that goes into the hose into your leg and secure it somehow and you've got a screwable leg anchor. I was thinking of driving a piece of dowel into the leg, and drilling it for the brass coupling and epoxing it in there.
Mac
Bent

Post by Bent »

Mac, I for one can't wait to see and hear this guitar in action. There are so many new innovations on this one, from the new style changer, right down to the fold-up legs. I for one hope to hear-see a video of this one asap.

As an aside..you say that you will be winding the pickup this weekend. Is it a single coil? If so, what do you do in the way of shielding and grounding techniques in order to combat the hum?

Up to now, I have made 6 of them. Four were great, with a nice sound, except for unacceptable hum levels.
Any advice greatly appreciated!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Bent....Thanks for the kind words. Well, didn't get too much done today. Seemed to spend most of the day taking our 8 mos old Golden Retriever for runs and walks etc. She sure has a lot of energy and goes beserky in the house pretty often.

As far as the pickup goes. I'm thinking I'm going to try sort of a stacked humbucker design. Sort of like the Alembic pickups. 2 coils, a regular one on top near the strings, and below it on the same bobbin an air coil with no magnets. I'll just make the magnetic slugs only extend within the active coil and nothing inside the air coil. Not too sure how to hook it up, will have to try different combinations. I'll not make the air coil as high impedance perhaps about 5000 ohms. Not sure if I'd connect them in series or parallel. Parallel will cut the impedance down to below the air coil resistance, series will raise it but by connecting the air coil with reverse polarity hard to say what it will do to the sound????? Anyway going to play with this tomorrow, have to watch the Senators play most of this evening.
Cheers,
Mac