My 12 string prototype....in progress

If it has Pedals...
Scott Howard

Re: My 12 string prototype....in progress

Post by Scott Howard »

Best I remember the Bela had 1/4" aluminum across it and it never gave any problems.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Hi Mac thanks for explaining. With your experience and innovative ideas I am sure this patent will be A-ok as well.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Mac, Do I ever like that keyless tuner. If I'm not happy with mine I'm going to make one like yours.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Scott Howard wrote:The keyless design is close to the bela by Larry Cummings.
I have had 2 over the years.

Keep us posted on your progress. Looks great so far.
Scott (or anyone) -- Do you have a source for those bolts used on the bela for tuning and locking the strings, or perhaps a trade designation for that type of bolt, so I might search for them?
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Bill
I looked all over and could not find them. I have another tuner that I have Allen screws in. I will get it dug up and post a picture.
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Scott Howard wrote:Bill
I looked all over and could not find them. I have another tuner that I have Allen screws in. I will get it dug up and post a picture.
Yeah, can do the allen screw route, but I really like those 3/16" high-head bolts that match the size of the changer tuners. One less tool to bring to gigs.

What the heck, I got a lathe. Just need some 3/16" hex stock and a lot of time!!
Last edited by Bill Ladd on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

3/16 is the correct size for both tuning nuts and keyless tuner.
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Scott Howard wrote:3/16 is the correct size for both tuning nuts and keyless tuner.
Whoops
Redwings

Post by Redwings »

Your design ideas are amazing. The changer looks great, more flexible and less complicated than it's closest relative, the Fender PS 210 system.

I do have a question. It seems like the leverage would get successively stiffer from pedal 1 through LKV as each horizontal bar lies closer to the changer axle. If so, how does one balance pulls on the same pedal or balance the pedal/lever action (e.g. pedal 1: throw = easy + long vs. LKV = short and stiff).
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hi Redwings,
Thanks for the encouragement and the comments. Yes, there is a definite difference in travel and resistance between the P1 and the LKV levers. I expected this to be the case but it doesn't seem to matter too much. Balancing the pulls....yes this is another issue. I know that many folks are really fussy about getting the pulls balanced so that if there is more than one pull per pedal they all arrive at the final spot at the same time. Is that really so important? I never seem to think that's been something I worry about on my guitar(s). It's usually on or off quickly and the string pitch usually changes much faster than my hands can find the strings anyway! My latest problem is how to design/build and set up the knee levers. I didn't want any cross rods at all for anything and wanted to go with flat plate actuators, but the one I tried didn't work too great. I have to get from the back of the guitar to the front somehow so will probably go with crossrods after all.

I've got to do a lot more work on this guitar but have had to leave it for the past couple of weeks do do some stuff for folks that bring in a few bucks. Today I think I'll work on it a bit more.
Mac