pickup / changer mount

If it has Pedals...
Scott Howard

pickup / changer mount

Post by Scott Howard »

I am planning on making a aluminum section to extend the neck 1" and this also lets me use a neck that has a bad spot at the pickup. The aluminum section will be close to what was used on the later MSA's and I need to know a couple of things .

I am planning on putting the changer and pickup in the original locations and extending the plate to make up the 1 inch giving me a 25" scale. I have a fret board ordered and have most of the parts collected.

I am not sure as to what pickup to cut the hole for. What is the standard size for a wide mount ? I have a MSA Super Sustain that I thought of using but not sure yet. I think if I make it a more standard size it leaves more options for later.

Does anyone have a MSA or other brand with the factory aluminum plate that could give me some idea of how far it is from the changer axle to the neck ? I am trying to get a idea of how long to make it.

I have 3 MSA's and plan on having one with original Mica neck , One with aluminum section at the end and 25" scale , and one with aluminum necks . I have the aluminum necks and just need to finish them .

Here is a plate like I am going to try and make.
Attachments
!BbJ)r+wCGk~$(KGrHqIOKk!Eq32pjQcCBKuo(zMZLg~~_3.jpg
!BbJ)r+wCGk~$(KGrHqIOKk!Eq32pjQcCBKuo(zMZLg~~_3.jpg (78.26 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
Georg

Re: pickup / changer mount

Post by Georg »

On my MSA U12 with the factory aluminum plate, the distance from center of changer-axle to wood-neck is exactly 4 1/4 inch.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Thanks Georg

Does it still use the block under the back of the changer like a wood neck or is it all one piece?
I am looking at about 5 and 1/2 or so to use what I have. I am thinking of cutting the hole for the tuner this week if it warms up a bit.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I decided to make the aluminum section just like the end of the neck . It warmed up a bit and I moved my little kerosene heater back in the shop. I did manage to get a little done on my mount and here is what I got done today.

I will be off again this weekend and hope to get this part made. I am waiting on the size of the pickup so I can mark and cut it. I am planning on going with a Wallace True Tone.
Attachments
Feb04479.JPG
Feb04479.JPG (71.46 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Feb04477.JPG
Feb04477.JPG (71.34 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

new pics
Attachments
Feb06493.JPG
Feb06493.JPG (82.98 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

I am planning on putting the changer and pickup in the original locations and extending the plate to make up the 1 inch giving me a 25" scale.
Scott, maybe you already know that...just make sure you have enought room at the keyhead toward the endplates cause you'll have to move it an inch" also to have a 25" scale. :)
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Pat

I got the idea to add to the scale when I saw how compact the Lamar tuner was. I moved the neck to the left 1" and made sure the tuner fit first . Then I am making up the inch on the other end. Just got done cutting the neck . Sorry for the cheap camera.
Attachments
Feb06495.JPG
Feb06495.JPG (80.18 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

It is done , other than final polishing and a little flat black paint around the inside of the pickup hole. This was my first attemp to make a larger part on my mill and it is not perfect but very acceptable .

I have 2 necks that have been altered at the pickup area and they may get repaired like this. I am curious as to how it will change the sound . I will not get a good comparison on this one because so many things are changing in this rebuild.
Attachments
Feb08521.JPG
Feb08521.JPG (84.06 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
Feb08519.JPG
Feb08519.JPG (83.2 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
Allan

Post by Allan »

Looks like a pro job to me Scott.
Nice one!

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Nice work Scott ;)