Alternative or substitute for making legs?

If it has Pedals...
Pat Comeau

Alternative or substitute for making legs?

Post by Pat Comeau »

This is the first time this question is been ask in this forum and i've been wondering for some time about some other pole or tube alternative or substitute for making legs, i'm sure there is something out there cheap that can be modified to make legs, i have some aluminum poles from a screen house tent but it is to thin, it needs something atleast 1/16 to 1/8 thick, it'd be nice to find a source for that, anyone has any ideas?. :roll: :)
Bent

Re: Alternative or substitute for making legs?

Post by Bent »

Pat I have heard say you can use microphone stands.
However, I think it;s hard to beat the prices of some makers in the US. Like---$40 a piece or less? Can't make'em yourself for that kind of money I don't think.
However..something to look into.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Yes Bent...i have checked for some mic stands before and the chrome ones with the round base are hard to find these days and it's almost as expensive as regular steels legs, i'm always looking in classified adds around for here, i'm sure there's something that can be bought in building or metal supplys store that can do the job at a lower cost, if i start to build steel guitars for a hubby for selling...i want to be able to make and have almost all my materials needed around here for making a student or beginner steel models, as for the pro steel models...i'll certainly order some professional parts for sure ;)
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hi Pat & Bent....

On the subject of legs, I've found a nice lightweight substitute. Just go to your CTC store. Find some nice telescopic snow brushes...and you've got 'em. I've used them on about 10 guitars with no problems. Get the good ones though. If you wait until spring approaches you can usually get them for $4.95 - $7.95 each. I took 20 last spring on a really warm day. The girl looked at me like I was a bit crazy. They're usually 7/8" OD on the big end and 3/4" on the smaller telescopic piece. Fits the 3/4" crutch tip nicely. Saw off the brush end and the scraper end. Usually I fit the big end with a 1" long dowel inside to make it stronger but you don't have to. Of course fitting them to the guitar is a problem. I usually drill 7/8" holes in a block of maple and fit a thumbscrew to hold them on.

On another subject Bent....I'm still working on my prototype new design pedal steel. Gettin' there and am really excited about this invention. I had to cut back to 8 combinations of pedals and levers 'cause the body I was using was too shallow. But that's plenty for an E9th with 3 pedals and 5 levers. It's a 12 string and you can have (in theory anyway) a raise or a lower on any or ALL of the 12 strings with just a screw in a hole all at the end of the guitar.
Soon as I figure out how to post pictures on this site I'll show y'all. I tried one other day but I couldn't figure how to do it.

Cheers,
Mac
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

I'm using 3/4 inch aluminum conduit for my legs on my current project - I'll take pics tomorrow.
They'll work for a one of a kind but it may not be what you'd want for your purpose. Mac's idea sounds real good to me.

I got the material from one of my local scrap dealers for a dollar a pound. He deals in aluminum, copper, brass, stainless - the higher quality stuff.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Here's what I'm doing for legs.

1 inch aluminum conduit.
3/4 inch aluminum conduit sleeves inserted in both ends.
Sleeves have to be reworked a bit to slide inside the 1 inch and also reemed a bit to accept 5/8 inch redi-rod for attaching to steel body and bottom height adgustment.
Short piece of sleeve with a rubber tip on the bottom

The bottom sleeves are a "tight" friction fit top sleeve ame but also has a 1/4 inch roll pin through the pipe, sleeve and redi-rod for security.
Attachments
2009_01252009JulyRhyan0005.JPG
2009_01252009JulyRhyan0005.JPG (238.76 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
2009_01252009JulyRhyan0004.JPG
2009_01252009JulyRhyan0004.JPG (204.72 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon