MSA Keyless # 3

If it has Pedals...
Scott Howard

MSA Keyless # 3

Post by Scott Howard »

I just got a email and my keyless tuner will be going out tomorrow . I should have it by the weekend and I have at least 3 days off . I am going to try and start making a pickup pocket out of aluminum so I can lengthen the scale 1 " . This will be a single neck 12 string with dual purpose knee levers and a few of the pedals dual purpose also. Tuning will be universal E 9 / B 6 .
My plan is to make it playable in either tuning sitting in the same position by changing the knee lever and pedals over.
Scott Howard

Re: MSA Keyless # 3

Post by Scott Howard »

I got my keyless tuner and it is going to work out great . I like the design better than my others and will be able to add 1" to the scale. I had already cut and mounted the other head that I used on my double neck , so I had to go with the body as is. I was worried that it would be to close to the end or not cover the other holes if adding 1" , but it will work perfect.

As soon as it warms up a bit I will start making the pickup pocket out of aluminum and use it to gain a inch and still use the MSA neck. I have a neck with a bad pickup are so I can use it as well. I will be contacting other makers for a fretboard with the 25" scale.

I have also contacted the maker to see if I can list him as a source for tuners. Here are a few pics and with it close to final location at a 25" scale. I have to get it all measured out and cut the body but I am happy with how it is going to work out.

Excuse the cheap camera / operator .
Attachments
Jan29459.JPG
Jan29459.JPG (96.04 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
Jan29458.JPG
Jan29458.JPG (101.09 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Jan29457.JPG
Jan29457.JPG (99.91 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Not going to get anything done this weekend! May be mild for some but I can't handle the cold and here is what it looks like here on Friday. I have been practicing more . :) Here is a picture of the garage / and guitar shop . The guitar shop is the one to right behind the truck and is about 14' x 20' . I am no longer working on vehicles .
Attachments
Jan29467.JPG
Jan29467.JPG (127.38 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
Jan29469.JPG
Jan29469.JPG (96.39 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
Allan

Post by Allan »

Cold enough I think. It's 17 deg's. here right now and it's been that temp all day so I ain't doing a lot in the shop right now either.
I know you will all understand when I say 'frustrating' coz I have got the stock out there for building my pull release changer. I also have a lap steel ready for nitro-ing.
I may go to bed tonight and stay there till late spring.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Allan, you got heat in that shop?
By the way, that might be a good idea for someone to start a thread and we all show off our shop inside and out. I have to clean mine first.
Who's first?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Bent wrote:Allan, you got heat in that shop?
By the way, that might be a good idea for someone to start a thread and we all show off our shop inside and out. I have to clean mine first.
Who's first?
Heat? What's that? I have a small electric heater that warms a tiny corner of the place after around an hour of running.

I would have to clean up before putting out pics too Bent. I seem to remember posting a list of tools and stuff at one time but pics? Nah, not right now. My wife would kill me to death if I let anyone see the shambles in there right now.
I'll add pics to my list of things to do after the weather warms up if you want. Sorry, best offer... :lol:

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

My shop stays a mess . I just got the stuff hauled off from the ouside of it so I can post a picture of the outside ! This is the year it is getting cleaned up ! After years of working in the garage both for a hobby and several years as my only job . Stuff just accumulates !!!

I started a few years ago building the room off the side for my workshop and a place that could be heated or cooled. I have a small air conditioner and it does pretty good . The only heat I have is a kerosene heater and it will heat it if left on long enough but with the temps we have been having here , it is inside to help out. I know several here are used to colder than what we get here but it is a lot colder than normal .

Last year I built some shelves and started but never finished. I even made a table the same height as the freezer I always use to work on the guitars. I am not one to go anywhere for vacation so this year I am going to try and time it so my freind next door can help and we can get it ALL cleaned up. I let him use the garage part and he helps me if I need a vehicle worked on.

We cleaned up the outside last year and only found 1 copperhead ! We find them about everytime we clean . I will get some pics when I get it all cleaned up and maybe even some before and after pics.

I want to start on the pickup pocket for this MSA but it is warm inside. Guess I could go practice some more.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Allan, Scott, you guys sound like me and my shop. I did do some half-hearted cleaning recently for the milling machine, that by the way hasn't arrived yet. When it does arrive, it will really dominate, so I'll wait til then with pics. I got one up on you guys though. I had a nice forced air ceiling mount propane heater installed last fall. Now I get it up to 70 there when it's 10 outside.
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Well I couldn't stand it !! I went out in the cold , spent more time looking for what I needed , than working but the hole for the changer is cut and the neck is moved down one inch for a 25" scale . I will need to work on the hole just a little more but it is close .

I have my aluminum for the pickup plate and will start on making it as soon as it warms up a little .
Attachments
Jan31473.JPG
Jan31473.JPG (95.32 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
Jan31471.JPG
Jan31471.JPG (91.44 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
Jan31476.JPG
Jan31476.JPG (80.34 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
Bent

Post by Bent »

That changer is a nice piece of work, Scott