Guitar Deck ?

If it has Pedals...
Scott Howard

Guitar Deck ?

Post by Scott Howard »

I am still thinking on my own guitar and notice that the top deck on my Dekley is flat and not stepped. I am guessing the rear neck was thinner to get the step for a double neck. I am planning on a single on a double body and thinking of the flat top design. Is there a reason to make the stepped other than the endplates could be used on both ?

I am thinking of doing it this way because the endplates I have are not wide enough for a 12 string on the front . But if I machined the height of the front to match the rear deck for a flat deck , I could go with a 12 string .
Bent

Re: Guitar Deck ?

Post by Bent »

Scott, yes, the Dekley has the flat deck and to achieve the stepped look, they simply made the rear neck thinner.
Most other guitars have the 1/4" step...old Shobuds had 3/4"
I can't see any reason to have this step on a SD, for other than traditional looks. To me it's a pain. Still I guess I am a follower of tradition. It makes for a bit more problematic underneath when you go to use the top holes in the raise bars.
The way I make my deck is to butt the boards against each other and using biscuits and wood glue for a strong joint.
But if you aren't a slave to tradition like me, make yours flat and more power to ya!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

The only considerations I can see, outside of tradition, would be whether you wanted to put a pad on it and whether it would be less stiff. I am talking about cabinet drop here.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
bobby burns

Post by bobby burns »

When you are buying figured wood, you will notice how much harder and expensive it is to find a really nice piece that's wide enough to make the top deck in one piece. I have a much easier time finding good deals on 6" or 7" pieces, than I do finding good deals on 8"-12" wide pieces. I also think it makes the guitar a little stiffer.
The downside, it is more work to make the step. If you make it all level, you can use the same endplate casting for either end, same endplate for 8, 10 or 12 strings.
I have had single neck guitars made both ways. Emmons s-10, Marlen s-10 are one level, Sho bud, and ZB have the step. I don't think I can tell a difference in feel, that would be because of the step. I tend to like the looks of the step better, don't care one way or another about a pad.
I am thinking about a single 10 string with about a 10" wide body, one level, with the neck siting closer to the player, and no pad. I think the wide body puts my feet in a more comfortable position, but I think I would like the neck closer to me. I saw pictures of Reese Anderson's Bigsby, and it was made this way. It looks like a good idea to me.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

How wide is a single neck 1 1/2 body normaly? :roll: ...and also what is the normal wide size of a double body? :roll: ,
i have some mesurements but would like to have your opinions cause that's my projects i will start as soon as the weather warms up here. :)

also is there any of you who noticed a difference in tone between a 1 1/2 body and a double body?.

thanks........Pat C ;)
Bent

Post by Bent »

Pat, the width for a 10 string double deck is 10 1/2"...anyways that's what it was back in the ShoBud days. I got it from a Pro III.
I don't know if the big guys make a D10 5 1/4" and 5 1/4". For the SD 10's that I make, I make the E9th part 5 1/2" and the pad (or C6th part) 5".
That makes it a wee bit easier to fit the hardware under there
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I have endplates that are 10 1/8" wide . The way the front leg goes in and the hole for the changer adjustment area is cut , it will not leave enough room for a 12 string. The only way they will work is to move the 2 extra strings to the rear and this is going to go past the step in the endplates .

I have a MSA classic single neck and it is 7 and 7/8 " wide as they are stepped and have a small back deck that is slightly lower . It is not as wide as a 1 /1/2 but same idea just a smaller shelf .

These endplates have about 1/4" step in them that will have to be milled off the top of the front neck and they are rough castings so they also need finishing. I was told they are from JCH but have no way of knowing for sure.

As for the deck itself I was thinking of using the wood I have and joining the 2 for the deck together flush instead of stepping them. I was thinking to use the widest board on the front and the joint may be under the pad and only seen on the very ends.

Again this is a idea I am thinking on and try to come up with the best way to use what I have .

I am still looking for a possible trade on some other endplates . I am planning on going through a bunch of my stuff and start getting rid of what I am not going to be using anytime soon. I see me finishing my MSA single neck in the next few months . In the future I plan to build out of the curly maple I have and the various collected parts both that I have made and bought. But that is about all I see me doing. I have toyed with the idea of offering it as a build your own package but I got told off by the family!
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Here is what I am working with. The last 2 holes for the return springs and the final opening are shown by the magic marker . I also need to open it up enough to remove the plug hole . I need the plug on the left end because of my reversed pedals.
Attachments
Jan17441.JPG
Jan17441.JPG (73.98 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Scott, if you don't use those endplates...i'll buy them from you ;) , if the price is right of course :) .
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Pat

contact me about these endplates if interested .