BenRom4

If it has Pedals...
Bent

BenRom4

Post by Bent »

Like Jesse suggests in his introduction, I am starting a thread in Pedal Steel. Thanks for the kind words, Jesse. You said you would post pics of the very start of BenRom4. I'll leave you to it since you are the draftsman.
Just because the thread is named as such, it don't necessarily mean that project 3 is even started or on its way. There are several obstacles to overcome before actual building begins in earnest. Three that I can think of are; a new propane heater is currently being installed in the shop. I also vowed that project #3 will not start until I get hold of a milling machine and the usual problem associated with that purchase is of course money. With Christmas approaching, I kind of doubt if there will be a mill before the new year. Also, I got put behind the 8 ball recently: My beloved pickup truck gave up the ghost, as is what happens when the oil filter comes unscrewed, the oil gushes out and the engine seizes.
In the meantime, however, Jesse and I will be getting together for more inventor planning and he will share pictures on here as he sees fit. And here is where y'all come in: 100 pairs of eyes are better than 2. So...when you see something that you like and approve of, let it be known. When you see something lacking in a drawing, let it be known. If you have a suggestion as to improving aor adding to a certain part, by all means let us know. Jesse and I will look at your suggestions and he will do the necessary changes as we see fit.

One more piece of info about BenRom4 (project3): I went and got some hard Maple, enough for 2 dbl bodies. The reason I did this is because I have a half gallon of lacquer left, pricey stuff and it has a shelf life. So my plan was to make 2 new bodies and use up the lacquer before it goes bad. Right now it is just a pile of planed lumber.
In the meantime, I followed a thread in the SGF where Paul Franklin told us that he has a very sweet-sounding ShoBud with Maple top and walnut aprons and necks. Well...I just might change my plans regarding an all-maple guitar. What would be sweeter than to put some of my favourite wood in my next project? One thing's for sure: I'll keep y'all posted!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
jesseleite

Re: BenRom4

Post by jesseleite »

Bent, I am confused... you say the following:
Just because the thread is named as such, it don't necessarily mean that project 3 is even started or on its way... and... One more piece of info about BenRom4 (project3)
You keep mentioning that BenRom4 is project #3? I called it "4" in the other thread because I thought this next one would be your fourth? You've built:

#1 - The blonde maple prototype (yes prototype, but still a playable steel guitar!)
#2 - The blonde "Seddon" model :)
#3 - "Red"

I counted three. That makes the next "project #4", doesn't it (hence BenRom4)?

Hehe, anyway here are some screenshots of the first model so far...
http://picasaweb.google.com/jesseleite/ ... directlink

As you can see, we've only done part of the changer so far. Bent and I figured we'd start on the most difficult aspects of the steel first, then move onto drawing the easier stuff after the hard stuff is done.
Bent

Post by Bent »

jesseleite wrote: You keep mentioning that BenRom4 is project #3? I called it "4" in the other thread because I thought this next one would be your fourth? You've built:

#1 - The blonde maple prototype (yes prototype, but still a playable steel guitar!)
#2 - The blonde "Seddon" model :)
#3 - "Red"

I counted three. That makes the next "project #4", doesn't it (hence BenRom4)?
Prototype is steel 1, project 1
Blond Seddon and Red are steels 2 and 3, project 2(Seddon and Red were built at the same time, hence the same project number)
? steel # 4 will be project#3

Jesse, if you post your pics as an attachment at the bottom of the posting page, they will appear within your post. I know..you are just a nice guy trying to save some bandwidth for Larry :-)
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
jesseleite

Post by jesseleite »

Ahh I see. Clear as mud ;)
You should come up with a serial number system :D

Also, I didn't even realize I could attach the pictures below there. Good to know!